XMAS Bonus, how do you view bonuses, as employee/employer?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
With my employer we get 6 paid sick days a year, if you don't use those sick days they are paid out two weeks before Christmas... so I have yet to call in sick in the 5 years I've worked here, and that is my Christmas budget :)

We did also get a bonus this year, it was a $50 gift cert to the local hardware store and I'm exstatic about that... it's found money and I'm going to wander the store to find something frivolous I would never in a million years buy myself.

I'm really happy with that... everyone in the company got the same bonus so it doesn't make me feel less/more important than anyone else.
I like that set up. Part of it is equal and part is performance based.

The first time I ever got a bonus, I bought a drill and a tent. Other companies gave gift cards for a grocery store or a gift certificate to spend at the store we were working at. I was given a holiday turkey once. I'm vegetarian- I said Thank you- and gave it to somebody else.
Getting $ or a gift card is better than the party that some places do instead of bonuses.

I ask the other employees if that company gives bonuses and when. I was glad to get whatever they gave me, after all, bonuses are optional.

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've always wondered about these mystical Christmas bonuses I've heard tell of -I'd love to get one, they sound great! Sadly, I've always worked for government/non-profits etc. as a public servant; we even have to pay for our own office Christmas party, lol.