YARD SALE SEASON!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So, how many of you folks love a good yard sale? I hit a small but good one this morning, out of the blue. Also made friends with the lady, who is a massage therapist also...we are going to trade massage! :D

For $16 bucks I got a:

Whole bag(13 gal.) of pretty fabric, from courduroys and gingham to brochade and muslin...lots of different types of fabric that was her mother's! Pretty colors and patterns, big pieces.

A gallon ziploc bag of old buttons, trim and lace.

Several flannel and cotton pillow cases in great shape...and very pretty!

An old quilt her aunt had made by hand...not the prettiest of fabric choices but I got it for a buck! Can't identify the pattern yet but I'll look it up in my book.

A straw gardening hat..very comfy.

2 CDs of Thunder Storms, Ocean Surf, Twilight Sounds, etc. You know the type? For relaxation. I love the thunderstorm one and used to have one but it got damaged. Helps me sleep sometime.

All that for $16!!!

Hit any good ones lately? My favorites are the ones with tools, fabric, boys jeans and shirts, and furniture. Never know when you will run onto a good antique for $5! :D

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love a good yard sale day! Sadly, w/ the cost of gas, I havne't had any this year. I've only hit a couple on the way to jobs/errands if I've had the time. I used to do planned routes... but now we live so far out in the woods... it's not worth the cost in gas. Most people up here are sellin' junk that I"ve seen so far.

Now near my mom's house (abuot 2 hrs away) that's a different story. I always make out good up there, good quality kids clothes... for cheap. We have to do a job that way at the end of the month... I hope there's some good sales that weekend. As of now, my 6yo and 2yo daughters have no warm clothes for the fall/winter. I need to have some good luck when I go! There's a good salvation army up there too (good quality, newer style clothes) The one around here isn't very good.

I love findin' a good bargain on fabrics! Sounds like you got quite a deal!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm a hospice nurse, so this one was on the way from one of my patients homes! :) The yard sales are usually like you described, around here. Mostly junk that noone wants and everyone has seen. The fabric was a clincher, though. Its so expensive now days, and I like to dabble around with sewing projects like quilting, making pillows, upholstery, etc. I can't afford the gas to intentionally go yard saling anymore either! :( I remember the days when one of my sisters and I would plan ahead, scope the local classifieds for good ones, and make a day of it. Not anymore...

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You don't see many yard sales in my city anymore. Between the fact that you are only allowed 4 two day permits per year and the rain being unpredictable no one is bothering anymore.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
1acrefarm said:
You don't see many yard sales in my city anymore. Between the fact that you are only allowed 4 two day permits per year and the rain being unpredictable no one is bothering anymore.
You're kidding!! They regulate yard sales now? Man, I have it so good out here in the country. The more I here about all the town zoning laws and regulations, the more I shut up about driving 40 mi. to the closest Wally World! :D

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we live waaaay out in the woods, there are a few neighborhoods around. The biggest problem around here is that you're not allowed to post signs.. of any sort. You can have a sale.. they can't keep you from doing that... but no signs can be posted (not even in your own yard???) So this guy goes driving around on weekends yanking signs down. You can go put them back up after he leaves.. and in an hour they're down again (or sooner) it's SOOOOO rediculous. Nothing better to do I suppose? I swear there's something in the water around here that makes people just lose all brain cells!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Can you paint a sign and sort of lean it up against your table, or trees, that says, "Yard Sale" and when the guy comes to fuss over it, tell him that it is for sale also, and if he wants it, it is selling for $20 today! :D

That sounds atrocious! I, too, hate folks who put up signs and never take them down, but to not be able to put up a sign at all? Did I wake up in another country? Folks would sugar his tank around here! :lol:

I read all these posts from folks who live in places with HOAs and weird restrictions and I often wonder why they moved there, or, if it changed after they did, why don't they move elsewhere? I know that is an oversimplification of the problem, but I couldn't live if I didn't have some freedoms still available!

When you read stories about minorities raised in inner city areas, how violent and horrible their lives are, you wonder....why not pack a bag, start walking until you reach fresh air and green grass. Then do whatever you have to do to never go back. Join the army, live in a shelter or under a bridge, whatever it takes to never raise your children there. If I didn't like the country, I would do whatever it took to go elsewhere. Makes ya wonder, don't it?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Our town use to have more yardsales, but there is an ordinance( been in effect for 2 years) that you can only have 2 per year and you need a permit to do so.If you get caught having another(by nosy neighbors) you get a fine.
I noticed that I have only seen one this year so far in my area.So I would think that alot more stuff ends up in the trash now instead of being recycled by a new owner which is a shame.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree! Who made these decisions and why weren't the towns people a part of that? Why would they even make a rule like that? Is there a bad element to yard sales of which I am not aware? Yard sales are as American as apple pie! :rant :thun