Yay!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This weekend, people have given us:

-a ribeye
-several pounds of lake trout and coho
-two bushels of ziploced, frozen concord grapes, which we are going to turn into wine, save seeds from (since they are local), and perhaps make jam out of... if any last that long! Man, are frozen grapes gooood!
-4 bushels apples (okay, we had to pick these, but they were still free) which we are going to turn into sauce and also save for seed.
-2 hot water bath canners, plus lids, rings, and some blue jars with zinc caps- our hot water canner finally sprung a leak about two weeks ago

It is amazing, absolutely amazing what people will let you have when they realize you will actually put it to good use.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good haul

yea people don't mind giving things if they are used and appreciated. I hear ya!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Leta, that's great! Did you put the word out among people you know that you were looking for canning stuff?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, DH usually gives out homemade jam or fruit butters at work, and this year when he took some in, he mentioned that his output was down because our water canner died (we still have a pressure canner). So a coworker dropped off two water canners and some sundries yesterday when he was on his way out to the woods.

There are three or four other people at work who homebrew, and one day they were discussing wine and meadmaking. A coworker knew someone with all those grapes who wanted wine out of them, so DH volunteered. There's enough there for 24 bottles, and we'll only have to part with a few to make the grape originator happy.

The apples came from a friend of a friend who just wanted his yard picked up.

The steak and fish came from our buddy who was afraid they were too old to taste good- they were frozen. DH cooked the steak and our friend and I made fish cakes together, and when DH said, "See, it's fine", our friend said, "I'm glad I brought it here!"

Latest posts