Yellow Squash - what to do with it?

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In addition to all these zucchini posts, I want to know what you all do with your yellow squash. We're drowning in it here!:barnie

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty much the same thing. I roll in cornmeal and fry it, steam it, buttered, garliced, peppered, cassaroles, soups, freeze it for winter. It's all good!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Smother it with meats and serve it over rice. My favorite would be shrimp, but I've used ground beef and salt meat. Believe I once mixed shrimp with smoke sausage. I love squash cake and I put my grandmother's recipe up under the recipe section, if you'd like to take a look. Any recipe that would be good with egg plant, should be able to adapt to squash. Love it battered and fried, but realize it would be best eaten that way in moderation.
I have had very good success mostly canning fruits and vegetables, but didn't succeed with squash......grandmother told me not to even try, but I didn't listen and seeings as Ball Blue Book did have instructions and I had the equipment, I went for it and have regreted it. I therefore recommend using it fresh and fast and scalding and freezing what you can't eat. I know 10 people will jump me for dising canning and will tell you they have done it and all was fine, but thats my 2 cents worth.....and I don't consider myself a newbee.....don't consider my grandmother a newbee either.
By February, take inventory of what you have left and if you see you aren't going to be able to use it before the next season starts producing, you might want to plant less of it and add a different type of vegetable. Personally, I think I'd use it though.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't like it, never plant it and any that are given to me are fed to farm animals They all seemto love it.{cut open for water fowl.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I use a combo of them and zukes when I make zuke pickles.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
make and freeze "pumpkin" pie, sub in for zucchini or applesauce in recipes for cake/loaf/pancakes/waffles--again can freeze, add to tomato based sauces for pasta/lasagne--great thickener and can freeze easy dinners this way, lots of other great ideas above :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Smother it with meats and serve it over rice. My favorite would be shrimp, but I've used ground beef and salt meat. Believe I once mixed shrimp with smoke sausage. I love squash cake and I put my grandmother's recipe up under the recipe section, if you'd like to take a look. Any recipe that would be good with egg plant, should be able to adapt to squash. Love it battered and fried, but realize it would be best eaten that way in moderation.
I have had very good success mostly canning fruits and vegetables, but didn't succeed with squash......grandmother told me not to even try, but I didn't listen and seeings as Ball Blue Book did have instructions and I had the equipment, I went for it and have regreted it. I therefore recommend using it fresh and fast and scalding and freezing what you can't eat. I know 10 people will jump me for dising canning and will tell you they have done it and all was fine, but thats my 2 cents worth.....and I don't consider myself a newbee.....don't consider my grandmother a newbee either.
By February, take inventory of what you have left and if you see you aren't going to be able to use it before the next season starts producing, you might want to plant less of it and add a different type of vegetable. Personally, I think I'd use it though.
I recommend the squash cake, tried it last season and DH and I ate the whole thing. Very good and no guilt it's squash right? I will be making that cake again.

I also cut it up and add to some good chicken stock, cook till tender, put thru the blender till nice and smooth and freeze for making soup later. The yellow squash adds a beautiful golden color.