Yet another whole grains for chickens question

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been reading several of the threads about alternative feeds for chickens. Although I am someone who prefers to do things as naturally and traditionally as possible, BYC'ers convinced me that while chickens can (and certainly used to) survive just fine before commercial chicken feeds were available, they didn't produce as many eggs. That actually made a lot of sense to me, since egg production is such an intensive process that I could well believe a chicken could "survive" by picking through cow and horse manure for undigested seeds, but that they wouldn't have the reserves necessary to produce more than a few eggs for reproduction each year.

So I have been feeding my chickens commercial feed to supplement what they find on their own (I don't even have a run - they free-range from dawn to dusk) and the kitchen scraps we throw to them.

However I have been reading with interest the threads (particularly Freemotion) of people who feed a combination of 3 or more grains plus a protein source, but have some questions:

1. Since the main reason I got the chickens was for eggs, that remains the most important thing to me. Do you really find that egg production is just as good on this diet as on the commercial feed? (I don't use supplemental light in winter and expect a drop in production during molt/winter so I guess I'm asking about the rest of the year).

2. Someone recently posted a thread like this on BYC and to my surprise were not completely shot down. However several people responded to say that "oats were their least favorite grain". Since people on SS specifically mentioned feeding oats, has that also been your experience?

3. Again on oats. I checked my feed store and can get either whole or rolled oats. My understanding is the rolled oats are not like people rolled oats - they just have the husk rolled off a little more? The whole oats are about 70c cheaper per 50lb which is not huge but if I can get away with getting the cheaper oats, I would. But - if using oats, which should I get?

4. Someone mentioned using alfalfa pellets. I tried giving mine a cube of alfalfa once. I even soaked it. They were not interested. Do they eat the alfalfa pellets any better? Also, alfalfa pellets alone were $23/50lb but they had some Timothy/Alfalfa pellets that were about $8.50/50lb. Would these work? (Because I'm not paying $23, when chicken feed here is only about $13 :) )

5. Several people mentioned sprouting their grains. There is a whole sprouting thread on BYC and having grown up with a mother often sprouted mung beans, I jumped gung ho into sprouting and bought half a dozen different grains. The chickens were so not interested. Neither was DH. It was really disappointing. DH put sprouted winter wheat on our salads but found it too fibrous to eat (I ate mine but agreed they were pretty fibrous). The chooks pecked at sprouted BOSS, oats and wheat but were completely uninterested in sprouted millet (white and red). So there ended the big sprouting experiment. And that makes me a little more reluctant to try switching since sprouting is rather more time consuming than scooping commercial feed out of a bin and while it would be worth it if they ate it, if I go to all that trouble and they won't touch it.....you can see my point. So when y'all talk about sprouting your grains for them - what sprouts have you found that they will eat? And how do you do it on a continuous and easy enough basis that it works for you? (I had a bunch of jars sitting up-ended onto old mushroom containers on my kitchen window sill, but those were small amounts only).

Sorry for all the questions. :/ Most of the grains I looked at were roughly $3/50lb cheaper than layer feed. There would be a large initial outlay to end up with 150-200lbs of grains, but then I wouldn't have to buy for awhile and overall it would save me some money, I think - but only if I can find a combination that they eat and on which they still lay well.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My chicks are mainly free range w/ seed mixes, I do provide pellets and they go over maybe once a day for a peck. Out of 5 hens, I average 4 a day :) The other 3 don't count, they are useless (polish, MFH and bantee brahma) and the bantee brahma steals everyones eggs and broods them. I have caught a couple of my big hens attempting to brood, I just snatch all the eggs and they walk away.

I tried oat seed, no go :( My hens prefered something like oatmeal or rolled oats.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I quit buying layer feed for my hens. They free range often and even in the winter seem perfectly content pecking around the place. I do have scratch grains in the coop available at all times, plus I crush the egg shells and put them in with the grains.
Two years in a row I tried to grow supplimental chow with limited to no success. My girls just refused to eat what a lot of other hens seem to like. I finally threw in the towel and decided that they knew what their systems needed and who was I to try to tell them differently.
My girls like leftover ground meats, cooked beans, cooked eggs, most leftovers...I have seen one of them running with a little mouse in it's beak and the rest of them in high pursuit! eeeeekkkkkkk. I never tried the rolled oats, but mine love oatmeal. They won't touch the corn, and will leave the milo till last.
Mine still layed in the winter, except this year, molting and age, I guess. I also don't do lights, I figure that there's a reason why nature gives them this resting period.
I also tried freezing cucumber halves and whole tomatoes for them. Thawed out in the house, then out to the coop/run. They'd peck at it at first, then walk away. They weren't too interested in all the different squashes, etc that I planted just for winter suppliment..agh. The list goes on and on.
I love BYC, learned a lot there. But as on all forums, there are some that are just fanatical about their point of view. You'll learn as much by really watching your girls over a period of time.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:gig I'm going to have to bring home a mouse for my hens.

Oh, and my hens get *everything*, leftovers like corn, fries, ranch, jalapenos, has browns, bacon, sandwhiches, even my blenders! (Like jamba juice only healthier.)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MsPony said:
:gig I'm going to have to bring home a mouse for my hens.
Hee hee - it will be very entertaining. Mind you, they don't all "get" it. I had a mouse problem last summer (attracted by the chicken feed). I had read of chooks catching and eating them so waited for them to do something. Nothing. The mice were so brazen they'd come out WHILE the chooks were eating and they still weren't tempted. One day I turned over something and found a mouse nest under it. I called the girls over thinking they'd at least like to eat the little mouse fuzzies. They cocked their heads to one side and murmured at me, but did not apparently realize this was FOOD. So I gathered up the fuzzies and fed my corn snakes :/

Some time later, I lifted that same object, while my Red Star was nearby. She suddenly darted underneath, and I heard a squeak, looked down at her and she was thunk-thunking something on the ground. After 2-3 thunks it apparently stopped struggling, she tipped back her head and down the hatch it went. From then on, several times a week, I would call her over and solemnly count down 3-2-1, while she got her head down real low and prepared to dart under it as soon as I lifted it. She was usually rewarded by a mousey meal. Even then, the others never "got it". After she had killed one, they'd all chase her to try to steal it, but none of them ever killed one themselves.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
my hens run down mice (and anything else that moves) like a pack of wolves.

and yes we take them mice the inside cats catch. the shrill shrieking little squeaks are most horrifying...
;-)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm like you. I'd like to reduce my feed bill, eliminate soy products, and encourage more freeranging, but I rely on those eggs and the egg sales.

My aunt in KS lives a wheat farm. They feed the chickens lots of straight wheat. Sometimes they add milo and corn. Hers do get to freerange a lot. She has mentioned, though that the production for her goes way down in winter due to reduced light and protein.

I've tried wheat as QA found a cheap source. I've been mixing it and cracked corn in with the layer to extend it. The chickens seem to like it just fine. I've used whole oats too, but those are pretty pricey in comparison right now.

I've kept my laying activity up with extend light in my main coop, but right now my other two coops are doing pretty well at laying. Must be that promise of spring the ground hog noticed. :D

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
MsPony said:
My hens prefered something like oatmeal or rolled oats.
Yeah, mine love oatmeal or rolled oats too, but the human grade rolled oats equal out to $50/50lb (if I can get it on sale!) so they only get that if one of the kids doesn't eat their whole bowl of cereal in the morning. :hide My understanding is that the rolled oats at the feed store are not at all like human "rolled oats". Someone said they look just like whole oats but the husks are a little more detached. :idunno

Okay, so sounds like I need to scratch the idea of oats (I did buy a very small quantity from a bulk bin and sprouted them and that was one of the kinds of sprouts they seemed to like. I'm just not sure how to do it on a larger scale so it would actually be a food source and not just an occasional treat).

BeccaOH said:
My aunt in KS lives a wheat farm. They feed the chickens lots of straight wheat. Sometimes they add milo and corn. Hers do get to freerange a lot. She has mentioned, though that the production for her goes way down in winter due to reduced light and protein.

I've tried wheat as QA found a cheap source. I've been mixing it and cracked corn in with the layer to extend it. The chickens seem to like it just fine.
I'll have to look for wheat. I have several other feed stores in the area to try in addition to TSC, so at the mo I'm doing the rounds and making note of prices to try to figure out if its doable. Of course the other issue with mixing my own is that if I buy all these 50lb bags and mix my own - I have to store it somehow. That one is workable if I can just figure out the formula itself.