Yikes! Incubation help! Quick!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Duck eggs are due to hatch on Monday :fl
I was sure I had a broody hen for some of my RIRs.
She sat on test eggs for two days without incident.
I put 1 dozen RIR eggs under her yesterday morning.
About an hour or two ago, she decided she is done.

:th :ep

I want to stick those eggs in the incubator, but, that would mean a rather staggered hatch with the 2-3 dozen others I will add once the duckies are done.

Suggestions?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So do a staggered hatch. :hu They aren't that complicated. I do them all the time. When the first ones hatch, put the ones still behind under a dish or something so they don't get disturbed inside the bator. What's your setup? Cabinet bator? or small foam?

ETA: It shouldn't effect them very much. It is pretty close. Some will go in LD just as others have hatched. Mark the first ones to know which is which. I label mine in batches all of first set gets a 1, 2nd set gets a 2 etc. etc.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
So do a staggered hatch. :hu They aren't that complicated. I do them all the time. When the first ones hatch, put the ones still behind under a dish or something so they don't get disturbed inside the bator. What's your setup? Cabinet bator? or small foam?

ETA: It shouldn't effect them very much. It is pretty close. Some will go in LD just as others have hatched. Mark the first ones to know which is which. I label mine in batches all of first set gets a 1, 2nd set gets a 2 etc. etc.
Ok.
We are using a borrowed home made bator. Its a large foam one.

Just nervous, as I much prefer broodys. But, the bator is needed this time, so I better learn well.
We need to build one for ourselves.
Got some older fabulous coolers around here...

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'd worry though about the humidity... the eggs about to hatch need higher humidity (unless i'm mistaken? i know it's true for chickens, don't know so much about ducks) but high humidity is detrimental for not-right-about-to-hatch eggs =/ you could try it, but you might not get a good result.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
i'd worry though about the humidity... the eggs about to hatch need higher humidity (unless i'm mistaken? i know it's true for chickens, don't know so much about ducks) but high humidity is detrimental for not-right-about-to-hatch eggs =/ you could try it, but you might not get a good result.
What if they were to go into a plastic lidded container in there for the 2-3 days left?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
What if they were to go into a plastic lidded container in there for the 2-3 days left?
No, because they also need extra ventilation (fresh air exchange) in the final days. The big nearly-hatching chicks in there have considerable oxygen demands.

Could you not wait til the duck hatch is over, and THEN put the chicken eggs into the 'bator for a whole new batch -- is there any reason why it has to be *now*? (edited to clarify -- if they were only under the hen for less than a day, they *might* keep 'sort of ok' for 5-7 days til the duck hatch is done, at 55ish degrees being turned twice daily; or just gather a new batch of eggs to set then)

Staggered hatches with just chickens are problematic enough, with the extra humiditiy ducks supposedly want I would be real skeptical of your odds...

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
No, because they also need extra ventilation (fresh air exchange) in the final days. The big nearly-hatching chicks in there have considerable oxygen demands.

Could you not wait til the duck hatch is over, and THEN put the chicken eggs into the 'bator for a whole new batch -- is there any reason why it has to be *now*?

Staggered hatches with just chickens are problematic enough, with the extra humiditiy ducks supposedly want I would be real skeptical of your odds...

Good luck, have fun,

Pat
The 12 chicken eggs are already started ;) I don't want to chuck them :(
Also, I was referring to putting the chicken eggs in a container with the lid part way closed.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
But you can get new eggs, yes?

Having the chicken eggs in a part-closed container (a bit iffy too, since they too need air) is not likely to do any good b/c the humidity in that container will be the same as in the rest of the incubator. The most it'd achieve is letting you sprinkle the duck eggs w/water, if you're going to do that, without actually directly wetting the chicken eggs.

I still think giving up on the just-started eggs and starting a new batch would be by far your best odds and your best use of incubator time, tho.

Pat

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
But you can get new eggs, yes?

Having the chicken eggs in a part-closed container (a bit iffy too, since they too need air) is not likely to do any good b/c the humidity in that container will be the same as in the rest of the incubator. The most it'd achieve is letting you sprinkle the duck eggs w/water, if you're going to do that, without actually directly wetting the chicken eggs.

I still think giving up on the just-started eggs and starting a new batch would be by far your best odds and your best use of incubator time, tho.

Pat
ok. it was worth asking though. I will have plenty of eggs.
Guess I could open up all these and see what fertility is for sure.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yup, and then if you don't want to waste them you can always cook them up (scrambled, microwaved, whatever) to feed back to the chickens. Well really you could eat them yourself but most people these days would probably prefer to give them to the chickens :p

Pat