1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Yins be careful this time of the year.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrealCritter, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Sep 17, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I opened the hood of my truck yesterday morning to find a big ole copper head coiled up on top of the engine. I came in late Saturday night after visiting my daughter. It was chilly overnight so I suspect it was looking for warmth and climbed up under the hood where the engine was warm. Anyways I was able to get it out with a long stick which it did not like one little bit! Once out, I shot it with my 12 ga, there's one less big ole copper head in the world now.

Very pretty snake, I thought about skinning it for a belt but I didn't have time. So I just cut it's head off and burried it in a deep hole. I tossed the body into the creek that runs in back of my house. I'm sure some animal will enjoy some headless long chicken.

102_6361.JPG

2. Sep 17, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Dang. That's not something you need.

Glad we don't have venomous snakes in this area. We had rattlers mostly over on the east side of the Cascades.

3. Sep 18, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

WOW. That's a big, nasty looking snake! Yes, pretty skin pattern but, bad bite.

Gotta ask, what made you open the hood? :ep

Generally you start and drive. LOL

We have them here, plus rattlers and water moccasins. I have never seen any of them "here". Many years ago saw rattler & some mocs far from here. A friend was bitten by a copperhead couple years ago about 4 or 5 miles away. He was in some woods...not expecting the experience and so, not really watching where he was going/stepping. I generally wear boots in the woods -- not foolproof but better than tennis shoes -- & carry a walking stick.

I have been told they have an odor similar to a cucumber ?? Sure not gonna hang out to sniff. :lol:

4. Sep 18, 2018
    CrealCritter

I've been working on the veggie hauler lately. So that's why I opened the hood. When I did and seen this copper head coiled up on top of the motor. I cursed very loudly saying oh S..., WTF and some other choice sailor words that I don't recall... I must have said them pretty loudly because my wife came to the porch door asking what's wrong? I yelled grab the 12 gauge quickly.

baymule likes this.
  5. Sep 18, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Yeah, I'd have let loose with a string of sailor talk, too. Also, would probably need a change of pants after that kind of discovery. :oops:

6. Sep 18, 2018
    CrealCritter

I've been married to the same woman for 33 (thousdand) years, raised 11 childern and have 6 grand children. Not much would make me pee my pants any more :lol:

framing fowl, baymule and sumi like this.
  7. Sep 19, 2018
    moxies_chickennuggets

moxies_chickennuggets Almost Self-Reliant

I have personally stumbled on 3 here. The first one, full grown, hiding in the green bean patch.

baymule likes this.
  8. Sep 19, 2018
    CrealCritter

Needless to say - Please be extra careful this time of the year. Glad you weren't bitten.

9. Sep 19, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

Yep theres no shortage of copperheads round here. I chopped one up in the chicken coop the other day

baymule likes this.
  10. Sep 19, 2018
    moxies_chickennuggets

moxies_chickennuggets Almost Self-Reliant

That one was back in 2011 or 12. AFTER DH had told me he hadn't seen any snakes since he had moved to SC back in 1995. :rant He just doesn't pay attention is all.

So, I went out back to pick some beans, bent over and parted the bean leaves......omg...snake alert. :ep I slowly stepped back ( I was wearing flip flops), went back to the house, put on my steel toes and leather gloves, caught the snake and put it in a large jar. Capped it. Took it inside to look it up and identify it. :thumbsup Copperhead.

Okay....all future copperheads are dispatched. We also have bunches of black racers, and a bull snake (?).
    DH is afraid of snakes, so I handle them. Me. A dumb city slicker :p:lol:

baymule likes this.