You will never guess what is in my barn right now!!!! Now with Pics!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Give up?

A 3 month old Dexter heifer calf.!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

I am so thrilled!!!! She can be bred next year, so we hav all this time to bond with her, and love her up.

We were milking the sheep, but decided this year to go with what I originally wanted--a dexter. The sheep were, imo, too much work (to milk), considering they were older when we got them, and they were way too skittish to go around another breediing. We still might breed them, but it will be for meat only (cuz we decided we love lamb!!) And while we loved the sheep milk, I really wanted cows milk to separate for butter, cream, and cheeses.

She's very timid right now, as she has been in pasture with her momma all summer and not used to people, but dd and I just got back from sitting in her stall for about 15 minutes, letting her get used to us. I am going to buy a bag of calf manna (or whatever it's called) tomorrow, as she is still kinda young to be on her own.

I'm so stoked!!!!!!!!!

Pics to follow, I just have to get dd to load them up on the computer.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How could you possibly post this without pics?? :p Very cool on your farm addition!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am jealous too! :D

ETA: Yes indeed, where are the baby pics? We'll just sit here and wait while you go get your camera..... ;)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am green with envy! I understand dexters have a great temperament as well. I am just so happy for you! However, if there are not pics soon.. I will.. um.. do something horrible, like.. eat at Mc Donald's! You wouldn't want that would you ???

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am jealous, but since I can't have them right now, I will be watching from afar. PICS! PICS! PICS!