Your Charities and Good Deeds

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What do you participate in?
How do you "give back" to your community and help our people?

Just wondering if anyone has a favorite charity they commit time and money too?

Or do you sponsor a child in another country? That type of situation?

Times are hard as usual and many need help any way in our local communities.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We do pre-teen dances for two different towns around here. We were asked by local law enforcement a few years ago, about the idea. In one town, the teen drug/pregnancy/ and dropout rate is sky high. (that's where we were approached about doing them) The other town is the "good kids" we don't have any issues there, other than teen drama. So we don't need extra security or anything like that.

We do charge a small entrance fee to help cover building rentals. As the places who will let us use their facilities for free (non-profits) are not big enough for the amount of teens we get coming. The first year took $3,000 out of our pockets, the second about $1,500. This year we haven't been able to afford to do many, so we're trying to get local businesses to sponsor (we even tried to get myspace to sponsor). We've sent out letters (last year) to try to get local people and/or businesses to "sponsor a teen". Write them an encouraging letter once in awhile. Pay for their way into the dances. Etc.. whatever. We, personally can't keep up w/ all the kids that need moral support, encouragement, etc. I hate to lose track of them, or for them to slip out from under us, to where we don't know what's going on w/ them anymore. (that has a tendency to be the time when they're getting into drugs or drinking)

We've been through some trials alot. But being able to mentor to the teens in this area has been such a blessing. Scary at times.. as the cops showed up once flying through the parking lot, pulled up and pulled out guns instantly and told two teens to put their hands up.. and our 5 yo (he was 5 at the time) son w/ high functioning autism was standing about 5 ft from the teens. They wouldn't let my husband get to him. and trying to talk to them (officers) in a non threatening way, to let them understand our 5yo has autism and is not going to listen to them... it was pretty chaotic and scary! One of the teens was also autistic (high functioning just like our son). The officers were after the other teen, who we'd never seen before then. That was not a fun situation!!!

Sad at times too, the teens have come to trust us, and look up to us as their mentors. They call us at home at all hours of the day/night. They come to us when they're in trouble (pregnant, in jail, job/school advice, etc) I've lost many nights of sleep praying for these kids. I wish we could do more!

There are kids who show up early to help us set up.. just b/c they want to. (to be away from home, or just to chat) There are kids whose teachers and/or family have just given up on them.. and they just want some attention.. and some positive words, and someone to think that they're not "bad". Our own children have probably been subjected to more than they've needed to be, but I hope that it grows their character.

We also advocate for preschool children in our state. My DH is also on a Fatherhood Coalition board. (statewide)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We prolly don't give as much money to charity as we should - DH is a pill about it, and I confess I don't press the issue - but we do make small donations. I tend to give money (or preferably food, if I happen to have any one me, like coming back from the grocery store) to panhandlers -- although if I lived in a city where they were much more common I don't know whether I'd do it as consistantly, not sure.

I do believe in giving things away, though. As opposed to trying to wring the last buck out of 'em. To friends or acquaintances, but also to charitable thrift stores, to organizations specifically soliciting items for the people they help (e.g. womens' shelters) and I often leave things out at the road. It's not *much* of a good deed, but hey.

I used to do some volunteer work but it's just not possible right now with 2 small kids.

That sound pretty pathetic, doesn't it. This is a good thread :p

Pat

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We don't have much but we are big fans of freecycle. When we first got our own place people were very generous, so when we moved we passed on a lot of nice stuff to great people through it.

Every November I take part in National Novel Writing Month
A whole bunch of us crazy people write 50 000 word novels in a month, and raise a whole buncha money to build libraries in developing countries, and support kids reading and writing programs across the US.

Another organization I'd like to donate to more is Heifer International. It's amazing how a goat, cow, or chicken can make such a difference in a family's life.

We're also members at a historic country mansion. It's completely supported by donations, and holds events year-round to make enough for up-keep etc. We go as much as we can to events (strawberry social, corn roast etc.) so a lot of our 'entertainment' money goes right to them. When we move closer (and I get my license), I hope to volunteer as a heritage interpreter there.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It seems that no matter how much we do we all think it would be nice to be ableto do more! That is very true for me. I can't say we donate alot of money but we do donate alot of time in various ways. I work at our local elementary school but put in many extra hours doing fundraisers, and working during after school events such as homework help. Our children belong to 4-H and have learned quite a bit about contributing to the community there! In the club they collect their change each month and then give that to a chosen charity. With around 100 members i our club that number can be quite supprising some months! My oldest son will be a junior this year and he will get to go to his first prom. One cool thing about this is the day after their prom before the kids return their tux and clean their dresses they hold a senior prom. The kids split up and visit the local nursing homes to hold dances. It is really cool. Well, as you can see I think if a person wants to there are always good ways to become involved in your community!!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
One cool thing about this is the day after their prom before the kids return their tux and clean their dresses they hold a senior prom. The kids split up and visit the local nursing homes to hold dances. It is really cool. Well, as you can see I think if a person wants to there are always good ways to become involved in your community!!
oh, I love that idea! I'm going to mention it locally! That's wonderful!

We do the PTO fundraisers also.. I used to be a PTO member, but that really got to be TOO much. (ours is very active) Even though we homeschool now, we still help w/ the fundraisers (help plan and we provide entertainment) our schools are underfunded. So the effort we can put towards fundraising really makes a difference. (in one event alone last year, we made $30,000+)

As part of our business plan, we do one free charity event per quarter (for non-profits) So we try to apply our personal beliefs into our business as much as we can afford to. Sometimes the non profits insist on paying us (they have it in their budget) so we just donate the money back to them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, I am taking this post as a slap on the wrists, as I haven't volunteered in the last year. (since I have lived in the country)

Previously, I have volunteered at Early Years Centres, in my dd's class, I have done MOPS at my church, and also volunteered at a therapeutic riding center for physically and mentally handicapped kids.

I often give food and items , sometimes to local charities, but also to many that I know could use it.

I plan on getting back into volunteering again this year--didn't want to commit to anything last year as we had just moved, and didn't know how this year would pan out.

My volunteer interests are either kid-based, or animal based, or both. We are not in the habit of giving money (other than to our church), but are big believers in giving things--as in food and items to those in need).

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, I especially like these threads that make me realize I've been lazy and sort of light a fire under my lazy ol' butt :)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really can't afford to donate monetarily to charities....I actually should BE a charity! :lol: My boys and I do donate time and labor to the fire wood ministry and Angel Food ministry of our church, free labor and visits to a couple of widows I know, we donate garden produce at the Christian Assistance Network and to anyone else who needs it. We also donated egg cartons to the CAN to use for their donated eggs(hope to donate eggs when the babes get bigger). Trying to get our church involved in a ministry garden but having a tough time. I work as a nurse for the local hospice and it feels like charity, as my wage is the lowest I've earned in a very long time! :lol: I also tithe in different ways, when I can, to help someone that needs help to pay a utility, rent deposit or a car payment. I've been there so many times that I know how it feels. The church will never miss it and it gets to the people who really need it.

I probably don't do enough but am always looking for ways to show the boys about unconditional love...no payment required! One of the widows tried to make them take some money just today, for moving some furniture, and they turned her down flat! I was surprised....they ARE boys, after all! :lol:

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BC (before children) I volunteered at a battered and abused women and childrens shelter. I also enjoy supporting FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) as I have children with severe allergies. But beyond that I've supported a few national and international charities over the last few years. The problem I find is that when I send that $ off in the envelope, I get a thank you back in the mail a short time later saying "thanks for your support, it is much appreciated. but we need more. please send more." And then you're inundated with calls and mailers wanting more, more, MORE! Now, I realize there are quite a few very worthwhile causes out there and that in these financial times they're taking hits. But so are we. Often times if I'm putting the $ in that envelope it means I'm skrimping and cutting something for the week in my own family. So, I've found it more rewarding to help out as locally as I can. I've worked with a local soup kitchen and my large extended Irish family gives to a local charity at christmas. Instead of buying gifts for eachother, we put all our $ together and donate to a local, small community charity that works similar to toys for tots. It provides food, gifts for the kids and $ for bills and such to local families. I really enjoy the lessons provided in the experience for my small children. It shows them the joys of giving, and that Christmas is not all about getting those gifts under the tree.