Your favorite canned pear recipe?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Please post one if you have one. Chilling them in the fridge seems to be working and the pears are ripening quickly. What is your favorite way to preserve them?

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We like them canned in extra light syrup - not very imaginative, but versatile. Extra light syrup is typically abut 10% sugar - or 3/4 cup sugar to 6 -7 cups water.

I also make pear preserves every year. We like them, but we sell them at markets too. People know pear season is coming and are already asking for preserves again.

Pear Preserves

1 cup water
6 cups pears -- peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
1/2 cup thinly sliced lemon
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons nutmeg

Combine pears, water and lemon juice in large saucepan. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in pectin and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add lemon slices and sugar. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Remove from heat; add nutmeg. Pour in hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

When we have a large abundance of pears, I make Pear Pie Filling - same as apple, but use pears. That was fairly common "back in the day". Women often substituted whichever they had - apples or pears - in recipes calling for one or the other.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks Kim! our pear tree is just dripping with fruit - cant wait to get cannin! (or preserving, in this case)

:)

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, you prefer honey over sugar.

We like pear butter....even better than apple butter. I'll probably make pear butter this year. Our trees are loaded.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Actually I prefer NO sugar OR honey, but I realize it is necessary for the preservation process. My body doesn't handle carbs well. I use my preserves as a condiment and only use a tiny bit at a time.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I remove the lemon skins. It wasn't clear in the original recipe. I started out peeling them and have always done it that way.