Your Favorite Pumpkin and Squash Recipes!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi everyone--Rather than bogging down the "What's for dinner" thread with my enthusiasm for pumpkins and squash, let's put all our favorites here.

I'll start with:

Easy, Raw Rainbow Salad:
Chopped cabbage, green and purple
Crinkle-cut raw carrots
Thinly sliced leeks or red onion
Finely shredded beet
Finely shredded winter squash or pumpkin
Chopped dill
Thinly sliced radishes

Assemble all in a colorful salad bowl, layering for maximum color and beauty. Sprinkle chopped fresh dill on top. Enjoy with your favorite salad dressingwe love sweet Vidalia from Sams Club.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ooooooooh, I'll have to post MIL's pumpkin soup. It may already be on here somewhere but it's worth repeating. Mmm! I love everything about this time of year!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
A few years ago I made a curried pumkin soup that was to die for, but I can't find the recipe again. If someone has the recipe, I would love to make this soup again. It was very simple from what I remember.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I posted this in the other thread, but it is worth repeating. ;)

Curried Pumpkin Soup
Makes 4 large servings

2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
cup chopped carrot
cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (1/2 tsp cinnamon, tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp nutmeg)
2 15 ounce cans pumpkin, or about 4 cups of pumpkin puree, or winter squash puree
2 14 ounce cans chicken broth, (about 4 cups)
2/3 cup water
1 cup half-and-half
teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large pot, melt butter. Add onions, carrot, and celery. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spices, mix well. Then add pumpkin, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes. Then either cool and blend in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender to blend the soup smooth. Add cream and salt and pepper and heat until warm enough to serve.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ms smiths pumpkin pie. its easy to make, first go to the store buy it and try not to eat it in the truck on the way home. :lol:

me&thegals

Reaction score
Here are a few more:

Colorful Chicken n Squash SoupTaste of Home
This soup is SO EASY, yet so tasty. It won grand prize in Taste of Homes soup contest and has now become my 9-year-old sons favorite soup

1 chicken (4 pounds), cooked and cut up (or equivalent in breast meat). Do this ahead of time or use leftovers from a roasted chicken meal
13 cups chicken broth
5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed, about 10 cups (or pumpkin) Frozen works fine, too.
1 pounds fresh or frozen kale, chopped
6 medium carrots, chopped
2 large onions, chopped

Place all ingredients (except kale) in a kettle. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 min. Add kale and simmer another 5-10 min. Yield: 14 servings (5 quarts).

Pasta With Spicy Squash
cup olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 lb butternut or other winter squashpeeled, seeded and cut into cubes
2 teaspoon thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound pasta, in small shapes like little shells
cup parmesan or Romano cheese

In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over moderately high heat until the garlic and onion are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Turn down to medium low, cover, and cook until the squash is tender, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook up the pasta. Drain it, reserving cup or so of the pasta cooking water. Add the pasta and cooking water to the squash mixture in the skillet, then toss gently to combine. Turn off the heat, add the cheese, mix up and serve.

Butternut Squash Pizzas with Rosemaryallrecipes.com
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1/2 butternut squash - peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
salt and black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 (16 ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust dough
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place sliced onion and squash in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; toss to coat.
2. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned and squash is tender; set aside.
3. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into an 8 inch round. Place the rounds on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal (you may need 2 baking sheets depending on their size). Distribute squash mixture over the two rounds and continue baking for 10 minutes, checking occasionally, or until the crust is firm. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Cut into quarters, and serve.

Butternut Squash Friesallrecipes.com
1 (2-pound) butternut squash, halved and seeded
salt to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away the peel from the squash. Cut the squash into sticks like French fries. Arrange squash pieces on a baking sheet and season with salt.
3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, turning the fries over halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and become crispy.

Eggplant-Pumpkin-Feta Lasagna
2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
5 tomatoes
1 pint cottage cheese
9 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 cup pesto
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
15-ounce can tomato sauce
lasagna noodles
1-1/3 shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Roast pumpkin in oven until browned and tender, about 30 min. Fry eggplant in skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10-15 min. Halve tomatoes and place on baking sheet for last 15 min of pumpkin time. Cook until tender and wrinkly. In bowl, mix cottage cheese, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay noodles over sauce. Arrange single layer of eggplant and top with half the cottage cheese mixture. Cover with more sheets of noodles. Arrange roasted tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Those sound lovely, and this is the year we did not plant any pumkins. We do have a few volunteers, which happen to by the good green ones.
With all these nice recipes, I might have to go and buy a pumkin or two ;)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Me&thegals: I think you posted that lasagna recipe last year and I never did try it. I really need to. Looks like I might have to buy a pumpkin or two this year too!

me&thegals

Reaction score
That was me :) I think I have posted it about 30 times in the 3 forums, but it is good!

Here is another one:

Cranberry-Pumpkin Cookies
cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup solid pack pumpkin puree
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon salt
1 cup cranberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, egg and pumpkin. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir into mixture until well blended. Cut the cranberries in half and stir into mixture along with the orange zest and walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Latest posts