Your own chickens' eggs - now with pictures

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really like all the different colors, sizes, and even shapes of the eggs my girls lay. I have a decorative egg holder in my kitchen, and have it filled with the blown out eggs of all of the layers I have had so far - :lol: all 7 of them :lol:! This includes the 4 that are no longer around ... because free ranging isn't always safe :(. I also use them to make up a pretty Easter basket every year. So, this morning I blew out the last 2 eggs from my hen that was killed last week (because blown out eggs are fragile, and the ones on display sometimes get broken so I like to have a few extra ... and she won't be laying anymore :hit), and I wondered, does anybody else do this, or am I borderline (or even full blown) OCD? Granted, my flock is very small, and the girls are pets as well as producers of eggs; if I had a large flock I probably wouldn't do this; but then, I probably would have more of one breed, instead of the purposefully mixed flock that I have (as well as the different egg colors I really enjoy the different looks of all my various *kinetic lawn art* girls.) I have 5 teenagers heading toward adulthood, and 4 babies, so there is more egg blowing (and possibly a larger display) in my future
Does anyone else do this?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I still have the first two eggs my hens ever laid. I blew them out and saved them back in 2008 when I first got chickens. My plan was to put them in a shadow box with the photos of the hens.

You are perfectly normal, honest!!

(cuz' I am the most "normalist" of people you will ever meet!)
BigSmile2.gif

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i havent done any yet, but i plan to once i get my own flock, i want salmon favrolles and easter eggers and mabe even a few marans, so those would become the blow out and make scrambled egg eggs lol.

ive seen some beautiful ornaments made with blown chicken duck and goose eggs, ive been told if you put on a good few coats of poly itll help strengthen them, a matt or satin finnish keeps them looking "natual"

might be worth a try :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We took pictures of every first backyard jewel each of The Ladies presented us with.

As is proper, Martha Washington was the first in our flock to lay an egg, a beautiful creamy-pink that our Lakenvelder laid right in front of the nest boxes! :lol:

I thought everybody did this.... :)

edited for typo

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I really like all the different colors, sizes, and even shapes of the eggs my girls lay. I have a decorative egg holder in my kitchen, and have it filled with the blown out eggs of all of the layers I have had so far - :lol: all 7 of them :lol:! This includes the 4 that are no longer around ... because free ranging isn't always safe :(. I also use them to make up a pretty Easter basket every year. So, this morning I blew out the last 2 eggs from my hen that was killed last week (because blown out eggs are fragile, and the ones on display sometimes get broken so I like to have a few extra ... and she won't be laying anymore :hit), and I wondered, does anybody else do this, or am I borderline (or even full blown) OCD? Granted, my flock is very small, and the girls are pets as well as producers of eggs; if I had a large flock I probably wouldn't do this; but then, I probably would have more of one breed, instead of the purposefully mixed flock that I have (as well as the different egg colors I really enjoy the different looks of all my various *kinetic lawn art* girls.) I have 5 teenagers heading toward adulthood, and 4 babies, so there is more egg blowing (and possibly a larger display) in my future
Does anyone else do this?
Yes, I have done this. I love making Ukranian Easter Eggs by blowing out the egg and then dipping them in different dyes while covering them in beeswax :) . I learned how to do this while taking Russian Language courses in Junior High, Senior High School and at UCDavis too! If you live near a heavily populated Russian area you will see these eggs on display at local shops every where. It takes some practice but the results are beautiful!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought everybody did this....
Thank you keljonma, I feel better now :lol: (Actually, never felt bad, just wondered. I think they look pretty, and I have the sort of kitchen where that sort of thing isn't out of place)

cabinchick said:
Yes, I have done this. I love making Ukranian Easter Eggs by blowing out the egg and then dipping them in different dyes while covering them in beeswax :) . I learned how to do this while taking Russian Language courses in Junior High, Senior High School and at UCDavis too! If you live near a heavily populated Russian area you will see these eggs on display at local shops every where. It takes some practice but the results are beautiful!
I love the Ukrainian eggs too, though I've never tried making any. A friend of my mother's, when I was a very little girl, used to carefully cut away part of the shell of hollow eggs. She would then dye them, attach ribbon or rick-rack around the edge, and make a little display inside the eggs, and use them as Christmas ornaments. I still have a couple - one with a tiny photo of me (age 4 or so), and one with a tiny deer, some styrofoam snow, and tiny pinecones. The eggs are no longer pristine - they are about 55 years old now - but I still treasure them. I have done a few like that too. But the eggs in the kitchen display are just eggs - tiny white, bigger light browns, a couple of greens, and dark brown from my Barnevelder - but special because my girls are special ;) I need to take a photo.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it's a cool idea, nothing wrong with it. I just didn't have time or I might have done something like that. I DO take pics when a new flock starts laying, though to be honest most of the time I don't know who laid which egg. :)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never blown out any, but I think it would be cool. I don't have time to do it though.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing. We all enjoy different things. Some people like jumping off cliffs with giant elastic bands attached to their feet.

I think you're much more sane LOL

Latest posts