Your Physical Self

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of us self sufficient types can obtain great benefits from baking from scratch, eating healthy veggies from our gardens, limiting restaurant and pre-packaged convenience foods, drinking more water and less junky drinks, etc. etc.

Did you find that your health improved? Did you notice any changes to your physical self....like maybe losing a few lbs, improving a medical condition such as high blood pressure or anything that can be related to your changes in your household as you became more self sufficient.

Being we grow our food and tend gardens and animals, even if we work a desk job we come home to phyiscal exercise outside instead of a more dormant life.

So just wondering how your personal physical self has benefited from good changes in your life.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have lived this way for so long, even when I didn't keep a garden or animals, I was always frugal , and made things from scratch, shunned processed foods etc. i wouldn't know but I assume I am better for it. I am 41, only slightly overweight, don't have high blood pressure or cholesterol. I do have rheumatoid arthritis (since I was 18), but it has always been under control, with rarely a bad flareup (and no crooked joints!!!!!).
I definitely know my kids are better for it. My dh also has no medical issues (cholesterol or BP)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I have lived this way for so long, even when I didn't keep a garden or animals, I was always frugal , and made things from scratch, shunned processed foods etc. i wouldn't know but I assume I am better for it.
Same here. Who knows :)

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I noticed that excerise will help lose weight. I have been running 3-6 miles everyday, lifting weights, and belive it or not, jump rope helps a lot, and yes I have changed what I eat.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have always eaten healthy, never a fan of junk food and always cook meals from scratch.
I have always been very physical, whether I was going to a gym or raking,digging,planting,etc. in the yard.
My kids were raised the same way, so I don't have a much of a before and after view.
All of us are healthy and in good shape. No one is a couch potato or eats bad to begin with and no one is overweight, I 've been the same size since I was 18 and thats how long I have been on my own. Who knows.
I assume though if we changed our way of life to sedintary and junk food riddled then we would see big changes so this way of life must be contributing to our good physical selves.
I know it can't hurt.;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
None of us has had to take antibiotics for around 10 years now. :) No colds, stomach viruses, intestinal complaints, etc. I'm 42, overweight but active. No health problems here. Need to lose a whole human being off this body of mine, but everything else is fine! :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
None of us has had to take antibiotics for around 10 years now. :) No colds, stomach viruses, intestinal complaints, etc. :
Funny you mentioned that. My kids, 10 and 12 had to take antibiotics for the first time ever a few weeks ago. A really bad cough with high fever that just wouldn't go away. I got the cough, but no antibiotics. We usually get through the year with one head cold a season, but other than that, my kids are never sick.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We've always lived the way we do, so no dramatic before and after :) All but my husband are at great weight, no health problems, lots of energy and happy people. We get loads of exercise going to the farm each day (1.5 miles round trip) to get eggs, collecting berries in the woods (up to 2 miles round trip), biking, hiking, extensively gardening, and just pretty much never sitting on our tushes :cool: Same as everyone else, we generally eat great--lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, wild meat and fish.

I LOVE this life, and maybe the satisfaction and enjoyment that come with it are the biggest factors in our health?!?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
This is a hard one- I do think that eating fresh and homegrown is more healthy but doing work around the land can be hard on your body. I was doing really well until I took a bad fall about three years ago. Since then I have not been able to recover totally- I have to plan and space out work that I never had to do previously.
One of the reasons I'm on this site for awhile then off throughout the day- these are my rest breaks. I have limited my garden and animals as I do not feel secure that I can take care of them.
So all you children out there- you should be careful and husband yourself- you may not feel the aches and pains now (you are all such youngsters) but they will come back to haunt you as you get older.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So all you children out there- you should be careful and husband yourself- you may not feel the aches and pains now (you are all such youngsters) but they will come back to haunt you as you get older.

***********I so agree with this. What I could do 10 years ago when I started is not even close to what I can do now..LOL---from age 38 to now (almost 48) I noticed a huge diff. in aches and pains from the hard physical work.....so I hear ya on this one..LOL