YUCK! Ducklings make Chicks smell sweet!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
All I have is two little ducklings, but they had to get moved to the Arctic entry this morning, cause they smell bad :sick

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boy do I hear you on that. That's the reason I gave up hatching ducklings this year. They were just too smelly and messy.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was going to hatch out a batch of ducklings but the more I thought about the mess and the small I changed my mind! Maybe if I get a broody I will.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I prefer to let a broody do it :D

If you have your ducklings take supervised swim time, you can do it now and they will be less fragrant. Just don't leave them in the water too long, use warm, but not hot water, and dry them off before putting them back in the brooder.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I prefer to let a broody do it :D

If you have your ducklings take supervised swim time, you can do it now and they will be less fragrant. Just don't leave them in the water too long, use warm, but not hot water, and dry them off before putting them back in the brooder.
Well, these are our very first duckies. Thinking about getting Indian Runners next year, to do bug work for us in the garden.
I understand Muskovys are lethal to the garden :lol:

I have been letting them take swims in the tub.
That is when they get fresh greens to eat as well.
Way too much fun!

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After raising several batches of chicks I decided to get ducks. What a difference! I couldn't wait to get them out of the house.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Ducks do smell worse than chicks I think. And their poo is so much wetter, it is just more icky, and how they play in their water.

I did that last year and kept three, so hopefully they will do their own thing this year and it won't be inside the house! I won't do a duck brooder in the house ever again, that is for sure.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I won't ever do ducks indoors again either.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We brooded ducks three years ago now I guess it is. Or is it only 2. Not sure. It was awful!! We had two pairs about a month apart so it was a looooooooooong time. And they were in the house. And I don't like them now and they don't like me. No more ducks....