yummm.... sunny side eggs!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just had a sunny side up egg! And it was great! I know, not too exciting, but, it got me thinking why I started raising my own chickens! Every few months now days you hear about a recall of eggs or chicken due to one thing or another. I know I have happy healthy chickens and can eat raw eggs without a second thought. If I do get sick, I have no one to blame but myself, and I can handle that! Not to mention the taste, color and smell of a "real" egg! My daughter says the smell of store bought eggs cooking makes her want to puke now! LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I went away earlier in the year and they had a breakfast buffet in the hotel. I passed on the scrambled eggs. Nasty, pale yellow looking things that I couldn't even begin to imagine eating. Right now, my older girls aren't laying, and my pullets haven't started. I'm hoping it won't be long until they start. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy some eggs. :hit

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear you! I'm only getting three eggs a day. I had the chicken and noodles talk with the girls yesterday.

I hated buying eggs a couple of years ago when I was down to two old girls in the winter.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I went away earlier in the year and they had a breakfast buffet in the hotel. I passed on the scrambled eggs. Nasty, pale yellow looking things that I couldn't even begin to imagine eating. Right now, my older girls aren't laying, and my pullets haven't started. I'm hoping it won't be long until they start. Otherwise, I'm going to have to buy some eggs. :hit
I hear ya on those restaurant eggs. AND ARE THEY REAL eggs? honestly I wonder how many chemicals are in those 'scrambled eggs'. get the feeling it isn't just eggs most times lol

we went to Waffle House a long time ago. I got an omlette. I asked the waitress if they were 'real' eggs cause it was so nasty it was insane. I didn't eat it. She said yes they are real from the company we purchase the 'mix' from. HUH LOL no thanks.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Denim Deb said:
I hear ya on those restaurant eggs. AND ARE THEY REAL eggs? honestly I wonder how many chemicals are in those 'scrambled eggs'. get the feeling it isn't just eggs most times lol

we went to Waffle House a long time ago. I got an omlette. I asked the waitress if they were 'real' eggs cause it was so nasty it was insane. I didn't eat it. She said yes they are real from the company we purchase the 'mix' from. HUH LOL no thanks.
I wonder how independent the Waffle House outlets are because I have had great western omlets and ones that that I wouldn't feed to the dog in different outlets around the country. Here in my "Home" outlet you can watch the eggs being cracked and the other ingredients (pre cooked) added to a pan. That is one thing I like about the Waffle House, If i sit at the counter I can watch my food being cooked. Any '5 sec rule' or other messing with my food, I know and I reject it. BTW I never eat buffet scrambled eggs. The heat they are held at is just dandy for bacteria growth and you never know what the people ahead of you in line might have done to them.~gd

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's a good visual on all that...the two on the left are LARGE Grade A store bought eggs and the one on the right is a SMALL free range, fermented feed sourced egg from a six yr old hen:

900x900px-LL-a7dd15e5_100_0656.jpeg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My older brahma just came off raising chicks and is laying again even though she is molting. So I'm averaging 7 eggs a day from 17 layers. We sell to a few people so it's just enough to cover everything. Most of them who are molting have slowed on the laying but they are still laying. The barred rocks need to molt, they have bare patches. They are busy laying eggs 6 days a week still. I need to pull out the rooster and put him and the young boys in a separate pen for a while.

Mom can't eat store bought eggs. Even a single bite makes her sick. When I first brought eggs down to her, she was paranoid about trying them. Then did a bite and didn't get sick. Now she hordes the eggs I bring. She hadn't been able to eat eggs or stuff made with eggs for over a decade. She still gets sick off store eggs. My guess is that it's the chemical egg washes they use soaking in.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
My older brahma just came off raising chicks and is laying again even though she is molting. So I'm averaging 7 eggs a day from 17 layers. We sell to a few people so it's just enough to cover everything. Most of them who are molting have slowed on the laying but they are still laying. The barred rocks need to molt, they have bare patches. They are busy laying eggs 6 days a week still. I need to pull out the rooster and put him and the young boys in a separate pen for a while.

Mom can't eat store bought eggs. Even a single bite makes her sick. When I first brought eggs down to her, she was paranoid about trying them. Then did a bite and didn't get sick. Now she hordes the eggs I bring. She hadn't been able to eat eggs or stuff made with eggs for over a decade. She still gets sick off store eggs. My guess is that it's the chemical egg washes they use soaking in.
I also wonder if it is the toasted soy that many egg farms feed their chickens. too much soy may not be the best for chickens. and they do wash them with some stinky stuff.. (there is a huge egg farm about 12 miles away I took a tour to take my girl scouts there years ago and almost barfed. 1/4 milliion chickens per house and the smell.. I ran out and bought chicks and never looked back)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our first year of keeping chickens, we just had two 18 month old hens. They molted and quit laying. I bought ONE dozen eggs from the store and 2 1/2 months later, I still had ONE egg left! :lol: Then i bought 6 chicks in the spring, and now 1 1/2 years later, they are molting, but I get 1-4 eggs a day. I give them the "I am going to squeeze eggs our your A$$ if you don't gimme some eggs NOW" talk. They look scared. :ep

Our grand daughter knows the taste difference between store bought and Mamaw's eggs, even without her parents telling her they are out of Mamaw's eggs! :lol:

STORE BOUGHT EGGS :sick :tongue

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed.... I'm surprised the store bought ones look that good! The ones we get around here are so pale you can hardly tell the yolk from the white! Kinda a pastel yellow.:sick

We are just getting feathers back now from many of the girls and I have 2 that stopped because the boys got too rough and they are recuperating . :( I'm getting a few pullet eggs but all in all I'm down to 5 to 6 a day! Not good when you have standing orders for 6 doz. a week plus the family (my kids and their families). No Angle Food cakes for a while :(

Too bad more people can't or won't try "real" fresh eggs...might put those pathetic "factory farms" out of business and and let us little guys get more business! I would like enough to at least pay for the feed. :/

Oh well, we know and can enjoy what we got... we know we have the best!

Night All!

Latest posts