yummy recipe- Dh just informed me they are called deer poppers

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Take a slightly thin cut of meat and marinade how ever you like. cut some bell pepper, some onion, cream cheese. put them on the meat and roll it up, next wrap in bacon, and use tooth picks to hold. now your ready to throw them on the grill. don't over cook!!!!!! try this when you shoot that big one this year

That was a direct quote from hub's deer huntin forum where he got the idea to suprise me with this for dinner last night. It was soooo yummy I had to pass it along!

He also mentioned something about italian dressing, but I'll have to wait til he gets back to show me the other versions of the recipe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The poppers sound interesting. I marinate in Italian dressing quite often, but right now I have deer chops marinating in buttermilk with ranch spices.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
That does sound good! I'll give you guys my favorite deer recipe, it's for barbeque.

Place whatever meat you like (roast, tenderloin, whatever) in a pressure cooker with the following:
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 45 minutes--you can use frozen meat

While the meat is cooking mix together the following:
1 bottle of Kraft original barbeque sauce (just the plain, no fancy flavors)
1 bottle of Sauers barbeque sauce (if you can't find Sauers use your favorite vinegar based sauce)
1 can of Budweiser

When the meat is done place it in a baking dish and shred or pull to desired barbeque consistency. I also try to fish out some of the onion pieces if there is anything left of them. Pour the sauce over the meat to cover and refridgerate any leftover sauce. Bake in an oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes on 375 or until the top gets a little brown or the sauce thickens a little.

This is really good straight out of the oven but it is even better after it sits for a day or two and the sauce has a chance to soak in the meat. We have used this for several parties and church outings and got great response from everyone, even the "I don't like deer meat" people.

Hope you can try this...it's really good!

Lori