Zucchini fritters

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you end up with zillions of zucs as most of us do....lol....here is a recipe to use some up.

zucchini fritters, which look a lot like potato latkes, except without the potato. A tasty, easy option if you are trying to get your kids to eat more veggies. Plain yoghurt works just as well as a condiment with these as sour cream.

Zucchini Fritters Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium sized), coarsely grated
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grape seed oil or olive oil
Sour cream or plain yoghurt

Method
1 Salt the zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Try to remove the excess moisture from the zucchini by either squeezing the liquid out with a potato ricer, or by squeezing with paper towels. (The original recipe calls for putting the zucchini in a colander set in the sink to let it drain for 10 minutes after salting it. I think it works much better to use a potato ricer.)

2 Whisk egg in a large bowl; add the zucchini, flour, scallions, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix to combine well.

3 Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2 Tbsp each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve immediately, with sour cream or plain yoghurt on the side.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good, I have 4 or 5 zucchini and 4 or 5 yellow squash and not sure what to do with them.

Also, I caught acorn, butternut and spaghatti squash on sale about bought 4 of each. How long will they sit? They're in the garage, which stays not cold, but cool. Do I need to do anything to help them stay good?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okie, I keep my in our pumphouse and they last all winter, so yours should be good in the garage. I have heard of people putting them into boxes of straw, but I don't bother with that and mine do fine, Good luck and hopefully you will be enjoying them in the spring.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to have to remember this one next summer.

I'm always looking for a way to use up the zucchini in a way that everyone in the family would like.

Thanks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Scott --anything fried usually is a crowd pleaser!!!!