Official SS Poll: Favorite DIY Natural Cleaning Solution for Summer

What’s the most favorite DIY natural cleaning solution for summer?

• Vinegar and Water Spray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baking Soda Scrub

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Lemon and Salt Cleaner

• Castile Soap Mix

• Essential Oil Disinfectant Spray

• Hydrogen Peroxide and Water Solution

• Borax and Citrus Cleaner

• Olive Oil and Lemon Furniture Polish

• Tea Tree Oil and Vinegar Mold Remover

• Citrus Enzyme Cleaner

• Total voters

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Summer is here, and so are the opportunities to freshen up our homes with some natural, eco-friendly cleaning solutions. Not only are these DIY recipes gentle on the environment, but they’re also kind to your wallet!

We want to hear from you! What’s your go-to DIY natural cleaning solution for keeping your home sparkling clean during the summer months? Join the conversation and help us discover the best natural ways to keep our spaces clean and fresh all summer long!

Vote for your favorite method and share your tips in the comments.

pexels-karolina-grabowska-4239112.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vinegar is great for deodorizing everything.

Just need a bowl of water to clean a microwave, though. Put it on high for 5 minutes with the water then let it cool a few minutes with the door closed. Steams the inside and everything wipes out easily. Can add lemon juice or vinegar to the water to deodorize.

I use vinegar and baking soda for lots of things. Only time I ever use them at the same time is cleaning drains.

Unfortunately we have too much iron in the water so I must occasionally use commercial items that actually remove the rust stains.

Most of the time I just wash stuff down with soap and water on a wash cloth.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have too much iron in the water so I must occasionally use commercial items that actually remove the rust stains.

same here along with some calcium. Mom is really stuck on white fixtures and so after a while it really stands out. some cleaners are better than others, but can also do a number on metal fixtures or even melt or otherwise damage plastics...

Most of the time I just wash stuff down with soap and water on a wash cloth.

for our wood floors and countertops we usually use distilled vinegar and water. almost 30 years now and the floors are in mostly ok condition. we don't wear shoes in the house often and that helps a lot plus dusting once in a while to remove any grit that might cause problems.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vinegar for most things. We have a kitchen cleaner made with different oils.
I’m not going to lie though, if it’s bad I go straight for bleach. Bleach, warm water, and gloves. Especially if I’ve had a sick animal around.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I’m not going to lie though, if it’s bad I go straight for bleach. Bleach, warm water, and gloves. Especially if I’ve had a sick animal around.

yes, fungal or mildew like things that need to be, "stopped right now".

also as a stain remover for the hands and sinks when i'm doing certain vegetables or fruits. bleach solution or straight up.

at times when i had athlete's foot and wanted to take the surface layers of dead skin and fungi back to the subsurface live skin layers i would use full strength bleach a few times a day and then after i could switch back to my more normal tea tree oil. thankfully i've not had to do that for several years now that i've found my routine care working.

i don't often use rubber gloves except when i may be into the poison ivy or a few other things that i don't want on my hands. not too often though.