Memes That Make You Giggle

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This is actually a true event for me. Accrued time off did not roll over at the end of the fiscal year and hours posted day one of the new year. Evidently taking 3 weeks off at the end of the fiscal year, turning in your notice after week 1 of vacation, coming back to work one day in the new year to get monthly health benefits and cashing out the new hours was frowned upon.

That section of the handbook was completely rewritten the following year. I heard later that the rank and file coworkers referred to it as the "Jamie Clause".

HR leader was not the brightest.

Screenshot_20240516-081357_Facebook.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is actually a true event for me. Accrued time off did not roll over at the end of the fiscal year and hours posted day one of the new year. Evidently taking 3 weeks off at the end of the fiscal year, turning in your notice after week 1 of vacation, coming back to work one day in the new year to get monthly health benefits and cashing out the new hours was frowned upon.

That section of the handbook was completely rewritten the following year. I heard later that the rank and file coworkers referred to it as the "Jamie Clause".

HR leader was not the brightest.

View attachment 26236

yes, i learned the hard way that i should have taken my vacation pay as actual vacation time and then i would have gotten a few more months of health care and retirement contributions. probably cost me $20-30k by now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not at a job but I forced the developers to make changes to an online game. Played Ultima Online for years since the beginning. If you get stuck in the game it's automated to move your character to town if you click "Help", then "I'm Stuck". Used to need an actual Game Master to move you and that was hours of waiting in queue. First they had to put in teleporters in the larger spots you could move in even if stuck.

This started because of of general game mechanics being exploited by individuals. Mages in the game can open "Gates" to teleport groups of people to different locations that have the exact tile location marked by the player. You can dispel the Gate with a different spell. The Gate apears on both sides. Destination and Origination points. Anyone can walk through, even if the origination point is someone's house.

Many people would jump these gates because you could attack and kill other players outside of town. They made it a habit so they could loot what the people had.

A friend of mine and I would go around and mark tiles in spots that you would have to use spells to get out of. Most fighters couldn't cast these spells. Most of the player killers were fighters. We go into town and randomly open gates and the other would dispel it as soon as someone would just run through.

There were also spots that didn't seem like they were in town that we marked. In town if someone attacked you, stole from you, or looted a Blue (innocent) body, you could yell "Guards" and the guards insta killed them. Then you could loot Grey (criminal) or Red (murderer) bodies without penalty.

We'd open Gates to these weird town spots. The other was at the spot with Dispel spell ready to get rid of the Gate when someone went through. Person who went through would see just a mage and attack. Guards would kill them. Then we could loot their body. Our favorite spot to do this was an island in the middle of one town that you couldn't see the rest of the town on the map. This was good because now their ghost was stuck there until a Game Master eventually showed up to move them. Game Masters eventually got fed up and put a teleportation tile on the island. Then the developers eventually added the "Help" "I'm stuck" feature.

If you weren't stuck you could run your ghost around until you found a wandering healer or one back in town. Or ran across a mage who could cast the resurrection spell.

Our getting them stuck took quite a few of the player killers main characters out of action for several hours, often during peak play time. Made life better for those who didn't want to do player versus player.

There were some other things we did that also caused game changes. Finding legal exploits was always great fun

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Not at a job but I forced the developers to make changes to an online game. Played Ultima Online for years since the beginning. If you get stuck in the game it's automated to move your character to town if you click "Help", then "I'm Stuck". Used to need an actual Game Master to move you and that was hours of waiting in queue. First they had to put in teleporters in the larger spots you could move in even if stuck.

This started because of of general game mechanics being exploited by individuals. Mages in the game can open "Gates" to teleport groups of people to different locations that have the exact tile location marked by the player. You can dispel the Gate with a different spell. The Gate apears on both sides. Destination and Origination points. Anyone can walk through, even if the origination point is someone's house.

Many people would jump these gates because you could attack and kill other players outside of town. They made it a habit so they could loot what the people had.

A friend of mine and I would go around and mark tiles in spots that you would have to use spells to get out of. Most fighters couldn't cast these spells. Most of the player killers were fighters. We go into town and randomly open gates and the other would dispel it as soon as someone would just run through.

There were also spots that didn't seem like they were in town that we marked. In town if someone attacked you, stole from you, or looted a Blue (innocent) body, you could yell "Guards" and the guards insta killed them. Then you could loot Grey (criminal) or Red (murderer) bodies without penalty.

We'd open Gates to these weird town spots. The other was at the spot with Dispel spell ready to get rid of the Gate when someone went through. Person who went through would see just a mage and attack. Guards would kill them. Then we could loot their body. Our favorite spot to do this was an island in the middle of one town that you couldn't see the rest of the town on the map. This was good because now their ghost was stuck there until a Game Master eventually showed up to move them. Game Masters eventually got fed up and put a teleportation tile on the island. Then the developers eventually added the "Help" "I'm stuck" feature.

If you weren't stuck you could run your ghost around until you found a wandering healer or one back in town. Or ran across a mage who could cast the resurrection spell.

Our getting them stuck took quite a few of the player killers main characters out of action for several hours, often during peak play time. Made life better for those who didn't want to do player versus player.

There were some other things we did that also caused game changes. Finding legal exploits was always great fun
Excellently done!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...There were some other things we did that also caused game changes. Finding legal exploits was always great fun

:) i really enjoyed a few specific games that came out with the Amiga, but i never was able to play them long enough to accomplish much.

back in the early computing years at the university there was a game called Rogue (if you've ever heard the term in gaming Rogue-like that is the game which they are referencing) which was fun, but very hard to beat and then some guys came up with another program to play Rogue automatically but we were not allowed to run that because it would chew up too many resources with so many people on that mini computer at once. so many years later i was curious and dug into the source code of both of them and got them to run on my PC. i've not touched either of them for several years now but it was many hours of fun and trying to find the bugs and fix them if i could. sadly i'm not sure i really made much of an improvement in the end, but you can go back to the original source code i used and do what you wanted from there if you wanted a minimal changed version i had one of those that would work but that was about it. no other fixes applied... so either way.

i'm not even sure that any of it compiles or works any more as it has been a few years and there have been a lot of changes to the compilers themselves. to get back into it would be a pretty serious winter project and i have my winter projects stacked up now for a while.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:) i really enjoyed a few specific games that came out with the Amiga, but i never was able to play them long enough to accomplish much.

Ultima Online was the first real MMO. Others that came after tried to not do what had proved to be an issue in UO. Mostly the issue with people being forced into player versus player. It's still running. Holds the Guinness record for longest running MMO. Our internet issues caused me to quit about 6 years ago