What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you plant corn? You could let the vining squash run with that. Works well but makes it tricky when harvesting the corn 🤣
I won't be planting sweet corn this year, my neighbor is, looks to be about 1/2 acre. I'm elbow deep in starts over here, most I've never grown before. I'm definitely going to tease Fb about yellow and purple tomatoes. Tell her something is wrong with them because they ain't red.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would it work in a passive solar greenhouse? I could also grow it as an annual...

Should do great. Mom has colder winters than I do but they don't get the rain. She gets 9 inches a year and I get over 60. She has had it overwinter and come up from the root.

I once had it last 2 winters until the chickens killed it. The spot in the pens didn't get as much rain but they decided that made it a great dust bath one year. Usually the silkies don't kill my plants. I've manage to get tarragon to overwinter multiple years and it's also cold sensitive. That was against the house and mostly out of the rain.

I need to get a greenhouse up because so many of the herbs would be more happy there.

I do heavy mulch up the plants in winter and if it's a bad freeze, I bag them for it. We're usually only in the mid teens at most for cold.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@LaurenRitz I get ample rain most of the time. And living only 50 miles SW of VaBeach, I also get humidity AND long periods of heat!! So, even tho I mulch, conditions require watering to some degree, at some months in summer. On days I need to water I will just set the timer for whatever I need at that time. No, not a golf course -- every day at 3 -- type thing.😁 But I have things to do !! 😳 Beyond remembering to turn off water in 2 hrs. 😂. I'd set it & move on.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Probably all of you gardeners mainly plant for the family. That’s mainly what we try to do on our end but DH frequently spills some corn intended for animal feed along side of the coop, pig pen, in the weeds and in our garden claiming he will later plant peas to grow up on it. I have been trying to keep the expenses down on the feed bills as well because I noticed not only the groceries are getting expensive but keeping the animals alive as well. If we could set up enough vertical garden trellises we could plant a lot of Fava beans to use as animal fodder.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm working on some extra plantings this year...some for sale at our produce auction once a week, some just for animals. Anything helps! Cool weather will allow for fresh greens and around here, winter grain crops for a little graze extension time ☺️. Corn stalks are fun chew for pigs & goats, too. Turnips, too -- and they can stay in the ground most of winter in the milder climates. Pull and toss 😂. My chickens loved them...surprise! Good vit/min content, too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Probably all of you gardeners mainly plant for the family. That’s mainly what we try to do on our end but DH frequently spills some corn intended for animal feed along side of the coop, pig pen, in the weeds and in our garden claiming he will later plant peas to grow up on it. I have been trying to keep the expenses down on the feed bills as well because I noticed not only the groceries are getting expensive but keeping the animals alive as well. If we could set up enough vertical garden trellises we could plant a lot of Fava beans to use as animal fodder.
I think most of my garden will be animal feed this year. I'm using up excess seed I've stored. DH doesn't want to spend money on gardening since I wasn't able to maintain a garden when I was disabled. This will be my first year of gardening with a functioning body. I'm doing it for exercise and mental health. Weeding is the best for hip mobility.

We planted more kale than anyone could eat or preserve. More green beans than we would be able to pick. We'll see what grows.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had the busiest day of 2024,😆 🤣
Got up and took advantage of the cloudy morning and finished the peppers. I had some Russian lettuce that nobody liked and it has a root system like never seen before. It is massive. So, cut as much as possible.

But now I an dealing with rodents. About 8 or 10 mice like at a palace in the chicken run. Went to the feed store and they sold me a bait box that the mice can go in but chickens can't reach. I still get them boxes up before they come out but this is pissing me off big time. Darn things will not eat the darn bait. I get furious at night to see them via the cameras. I Cleaned inside the coop and done with deep litter method for the season and back to PDZ and I can clean it daily with a cat scoop that I covered with mesh, so it is like a colander,lol tomorrow will get the construction sand and that part will be done. Then get the roost bats out to wash and let them dry under the sun. But the run, I have no clue what to do. They have holes they come out at night, so I put DE on the holes tonight to see. Dang do nothing. They are still everywhere. If not I might need to get them outside and put glue traps to see if they stumble on them things.

Attachments

• 20240521_110340.jpg
    20240521_110340.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240521_110336.jpg
    20240521_110336.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240521_201156.jpg
    20240521_201156.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240521_201204.jpg
    20240521_201204.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240521_203752.jpg
    20240521_203752.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 9

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know it’s really late and I’m about to turn in but y’all just might not believe what just happened to us.
So we needed to get some dog food and grains for the livestock, a new blade for our chainsaw, some reading material and we ready to leave Tractor Supply and the manager tells us we can take the seeds. Like she meant whatever we wanted!! So we started grabbing from the types of vegetables we normally plant but we took way more than EVER. I also grabbed some herbs and while I was doing that DH was at it too. He took the garlic!! We were there until closing. We totally stuffed 5 shopping bags full of seeds.
Maybe give a call to y’all TS in the morning and see if they are planning to get rid of their seeds. It can’t hurt. I really think we came home with $600 of free seeds.