AARP anyone?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been getting their junk mail for years and now that I'm finally within age range I've wondered if they are really worth it.
Membership costs are only $16 per year, but I'm not so sure the benefits offered would really apply so much. We hardly ever travel, and I don't have personal medical insurance to use them as a supplement. About the only possiblity is car ins-depending on what their coverage costs, but we are happy with existing company.

My more suspicious nature tends to think they are more good on paper than in reality.

Any thoughts or comments?

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any benefits from being an AARP member than I couldn't have gotten another way, without paying any membership fees. And really, membership is available at age 50, so it seems like they are more interested in collecting membership fees than anything else. Who, in this culture and economy, wants or can retire at 50? Only a very very few.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I disagree with their stance on almost every issue, and thus will never join. I don't want a tenth of a cent of my money given to a cause that goes against my principles.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would never ever ever give them a penny. Political reasons...not because membership is a bad deal or anything.

People don't realize AARP was originally started by an insurance company as a way to sell more policies. Now they are a lobbying group or something.

GGrrrrrrr

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Their politics are not my cup of tea
18_tea.gif
. I joined them once, never again - and I've told them why. There is a conservative version out there somewhere, I just can't think of the name of it.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I had joined them when turned 50. I think I used the card once to get a discount on somthing! I didn't renew. It wasn't worht it. I also got tired of all the junk mail I got and their magazine and a paper. Too much for me to bother reading and then dispose of. I am still getting free trial offers and such for various insurance.
I once checked into the dental insurance that was offered through them. Basically by the time you paid the premium and the deductible, you could have paid for some pretty serious dental work. When I sent them an email questioning this, they never responded.
I rather join the purple hat club :lol:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband joined when he was 50. After promoting the new healthcare bill, he will not renew. We NEVER got any benefits from it anyway. Didn't even have time to read the magazine.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay these comments are exactly what I was looking for. And I have the same beliefs about the company. I was just kinda fishin to see if "my perspective" of them were off base....Apparently not. Thanks to all!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been a member for years, but no more for all the reasons stated above. Waste of money- wish I had back all I've paid them.:he

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
When we were taking care of my father-in-law, he had medicare supplemental insurance. It worked out great, as he was in the hospital several times and rarely had to pay anything out of pocket. Being disabled, I also looked into getting coverage. However, after seeing AARP's political leanings and their lack of caring about what their membership thinks, I will not be purchasing it.