Alarm Lamp That Mimicks Sunrise

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'd love to have one of these to wake up more naturally without the jarring alarm at 5am.
http://www.sunriseclockalarm.com/

Those are pricey, so is there a way to make one? I am limited in my understanding of how this would work. All I could come up with is to have a bunch of light bulbs in ascending strengths each on its own timer to increase in 5 minute increments.
Or a dimmer switch on a slow automatic pulley, lol!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched a 'Shopping Bags' tv show on alarm clocks once... they tested one of these with 10 different people (actually they tested a bunch of alarms)... only one person actually woke up to the sunrise, everyone else slept right through it.

So if you do find one, make sure that it also has an alarm once the 'sun' is up so that you don't end up sound asleep when you should be at work :)

I would think the dimmer switch would be the most likely way to simulate how it turns on... I have no idea how you would rig that up though.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, I have no idea how to mechanically make it happen, but it sounds like you would need a timer or alarm clock attached to a rheostat which is attached to a lamp.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have one of those! There is no way you can mimic it, really...it has special bulbs that are BRIGHT once they are all up to full sunrise. Mine does have an alarm built in as well, aside from the 'sunrise'
You do sleep through the sunrise, but what it is meant to do is get your body into wakeup mode so that when the alarm does go off you are actually ready to wake up. I find it wonderful! Makes my winters a whole lot better and keeps away the seasonal depression. Worth the money...trust me!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I have one of those! There is no way you can mimic it, really...it has special bulbs that are BRIGHT once they are all up to full sunrise. Mine does have an alarm built in as well, aside from the 'sunrise'
You do sleep through the sunrise, but what it is meant to do is get your body into wakeup mode so that when the alarm does go off you are actually ready to wake up. I find it wonderful! Makes my winters a whole lot better and keeps away the seasonal depression. Worth the money...trust me!
Haha-you don't need to convince me that I must have one. I'm there! Does yours have a radio?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No, not a radio...it's a kind of beeper. I do have a radio alarm that I use as well.
Here's a link to one similar to the one I have. I like it because you can point the top lighted part right at your pillow so you wake up to sun on your face so bright there's no way you can have a gloomy day. These make more sense to me than the other globe style ones that simply light up the room. THis one goes right in your face:>)
http://www.sadlight.com/nb-PER3.htm

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I've had a couple of these lights- mine didn't last more than a couple of years, and they were pricey. But they are heavenly to wake up to, especially in winter. I hate alarms, I hate waking up with a jolt of adrenaline. I did wake up to the light most times and shut it off before the back up alarm beeped. In the summer I don't need it- I just leave the curtains open :D