All About Vacuum Sealing

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Liquids are an issue and even cuts of meat that "seem" dry...it sucks that moisture up & out! Pre or partially freeze that meat. I've even wrapped a cut in press & seal if no time to freeze, put into bag & then pressure sealed.

We think food but, valuable paperwork -- deeds, titles, certificates can be sealed up. Matches. Yep, more than food.

Great find on that unit!!!
Oh, thanks for the tip about liquid. The manual talks about the overflow tray, but here I was thinking I would be careful and not do actual liquid, so my tray would stay clean. 😂

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Liquids are an issue and even cuts of meat that "seem" dry...it sucks that moisture up & out! Pre or partially freeze that meat. I've even wrapped a cut in press & seal if no time to freeze, put into bag & then pressure sealed.

We think food but, valuable paperwork -- deeds, titles, certificates can be sealed up. Matches. Yep, more than food.

Great find on that unit!!! I have foodsaver units -- :love free from my food demo days!
Paperwork is a great idea

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the Weston rolls. The cheaper ones I bought have a lot of issues
I will look into those. It very well may be the cheap bags. After trying the air bubble in water test, I removed the limes and let those two bags dry, and today I resealed them (with the limes). They are holding fine this time.

I put some of the limes into a third bag, and I noticed when pulling more plastic off the roll, that it is badly creased. So I made a point to put a non creased section of bag over the sealing area of the machine. I bet that was my issue yesterday, because I noticed creases yesterday, but I don’t think I paid much attention to whether they landed on the actual heating element.

Also, on some of them I did a double seal, and some I practiced with the in between seal setting, which is labeled “moist”. I don’t know how that settings is beneficial, but I can certainly see the advantage of using a double seal, in case one of them fails.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sealed up a pork top loin today. Steaks and some coarse ground. Probably get used in meatloaf.

That little hand grinder I picked up does good and the hopper is wide enough that the steaks I didn't like the tendon and such going through them could go in whole instead of cubing.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We played around with the vacuum sealer some more tonight. It seems to fail more often than it gets it right. The suction will be on, but the air doesn’t leave the bag. Or else it sucks most of the air out and then quits while there is still too much air. Or, it looks really good, and then as the bag of food sits, it loosens up and takes in air.

We think we have figured out that most of the problem is if we tuck the end of the bag too far into the drip tray area. So we need to learn just exactly where the machine wants the open end of the bag.

But that doesn’t account for when it seals tight at first but then loses its vacuum as it sits. Double seal seems to work ok, so I think I’m going to stick with that.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's an awesome deal you got. Any vacuum sealer is good if you like it and it works.

I have a Foodsaver gamesaver. Its my second one. First one lasted about 15 years then the latching mechanism gave out.

Sometimes i have to hit seal (not vacuum just the heat) twice because of moisture in the area. Its usually more of an issue when I'm doing something wet like clams.

I seal meat and fish. Extra oxygen absorbers get resealed in a bag when Ive cut open the bag to use some so they stay fresh. I have the jar lid attachments. Dry goods like herbs go into jars and sealed.

I prefer rolls to buying the premade bags for the price. Can find rolls at good price or on sale to make it even better.

So when Im doing a lot of meat I make my bags off the rolls first, label with a sharpie, then go to town. Usually there is a little bit in the drip tray. Mine removes so easy to clean.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, and I use the port to vacuum lids onto jars. I did find that I need to use two lids inside the smaller jar sealer, else it doesn't pull down the lid strong enuf.