Almost at the end of the Walkabout

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After getting settled in a 3rd floor apartment, in a 6 story building (hadnt seen one of those before either) the homesickness was a little overwhelming, he had found a job working for a printing company in SF and it was lonely for me...and then the morning sickness started! All day! :lol: no wonder I had been feeling so down and up and down again. We decided we should get married so off to vegas we went for the weekend to make it official at the hearts of reno chapel :love How corny it all seems to look back on that! :lol:
October 16th 1985
Our son (Chris) was born at home with a midwife in attendance who barely got there in time, as I had been having contractions for weeks before hand and even 2 hours before he was born they were irregular and mild...so much so when a vacuum salesman knocked on the door, I listened to his spiel for a while until I had to bend over a little and breath. He instantly galvenized into action wanting me to get in his car so he could drive me to the hospital :lol: you should have seen the look on the poor man's face when i told him we were having the baby at home! Sitting up in our kingsized waterbed, with our newborn between us, eating shrimp and drinking champagne was the best feeling in the world.

My parents were coming from Australia to visit! We decided we should have a party/christening/and renew our vows at home with freinds and family in attendance, one of the freinds was a minister so that came in handy. Baby was getting restless so his Christening came first so i could feed him and get my wedding dress on. We had planned on getting married at the restaurant in Aus but the storm crashed all hopes of that and I left my dress with mom so she could finish sewing the sparkles all over it.
She had to bring an extra suitcase just for the dress! Yay...now to see if it still fit! It did, with a lot of squeezing and thanking God for the corset.
Everyone had lots of fun kidding us about having the christening before the wedding!

I forgot to mention we were in a house by then..way up in the santa cruz mountains in Los gatos. It was a really beautiful area and my favorite thing to do was to sit on the deck watching the varied wildlife and birds ...something I had missed badly being stuck in the city in an apartment. Australia has bountiful populations of birds and I missed seeing the lorrikeets and kookaburras especially.

One day I was making lunch and started to smell smoke (no I wasnt cooking LOL) Wildfire! After calling hubby to come home fast, I packed stuff for baby and us, to the sound of helicopters hovering overhead shouting out on speakers for us to evacuate! Driving down the mountain we could see them dipping huge buckets carried underneath into swimming pools and the lake, whichever water supply was closest to the fire. Pretty scary! Hubby decided on a hotel close to his work and we watched on TV as the newscaster stood at the end of our road with the fire rushing towards her and our house in the background. We thought it was a goner for sure! Luckily we had just had a bulldozer in to clear a humongous blackberry patch from our backyard, it was so huge the bulldozer dissapeared into it, and we had just planted sod all around the house so the fire skipped over us. The house smelt of smoke for weeks afterwards.

Finally tired to death of corporate politics DH decided he wanted to be in business on his own, always a frustrated architect he decided we would move to Kentucky and he would start a construction company. He chose KY because the new Toyota plant was being built there and he knew that lots of new homes would be needed. He drove the rental truck and I drove the minivan....so the walkabout continued.........

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
SO very glad to welcome you to the forum!!!! :D I can tell your journal is going to make for some interesting reading! I hope you stick around and share for a long, long time.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome Glad you are here. Sounds like I have more interesting reading coming

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I skimmed through your story I would read but my glasses got broken and I cant see.... :(

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I skimmed through your story I would read but my glasses got broken and I cant see.... :(
Awwww! sorry bout that! would it help if I bold it? I have super glue handy on the kitchen window sill for my glasses frame which have been glued....mmmm about 6 times now :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
walkaboutjacks said:
BarredBuff said:
Awwww! sorry bout that! would it help if I bold it? I have super glue handy on the kitchen window sill for my glasses frame which have been glued....mmmm about 6 times now :lol:
Just pulled my old ones out...........LET THE READING BEGIN