Another feral kitten :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Vets usually use Clavamox drops for URI and strongid (1 cc per pound) to worm young kittens. Mineral oil should help get rid of the ear mites and I don't know about the ivermectin, they don't usually use it for this. You don't want to use too strong of a wormer on a kitten that has a hard lumpy belly, it might have a heavy load and too strong of a wormer kills all the worms at once, which would block its intestines, I'd be careful HOW you worm that cat. It could probably really use some IV fluids as well. They would probably give drops for the eyes as well. Yes, you are talking about a big vet bill to save it.

It is possible it isn't pooping and peeing because it has been starved and doesn't have anything it needs to "go", but the fact that it isn't eating isn't good. That would be a sign of illness for me, not just parasites and poor body condition. I don't think ivermectin would be helpful for a virus.

I managed sick cats by putting them in cages and keeping the cage and all its things in one room only. Don't let the other cats go in there even for a short time and decontaminate yourself as best possible when you leave the room....your clothes, shoes, hands all carry the virus. With the eyes and sneezing the way you describe, the animal has something contagious I'd be willing to bet.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
and i totally know what you mean.. i have 6 cats, all rescues, three were bottle babies (at different times - they're not siblings). i can't just leave them to die, either. and i'm not rich either =/
thats me also. darn strays. if you want to save them you have to open the stupid wallet....ya hate doing it but most times you just have to do it.

My last barn cat was a rescue from the grocery store. Little kitty mewing near the ice machine, skinny and skaggy, I ran back into the store, bought a can of cat food, then snatched it up and threw it into the car and home it went. Well, darn it, I had to vet it etc. cause it looked and acted sickly. Had the usual respiratory problem, meds and then home to get healthly. Even after all that vet money out to the barn it went. She is still doing fine after 14 years LOL

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
x2 to what SD said. now that she said it, i do remember clavamox as being what we've used before for URI in young kits. if the eyes are goopy, you can sometimes get terramycin at feed stores, that'll help with any conjunctivitis but won't clear the respiratory.

sick kittens are so fragile :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Terramycin is a great idea. The vets will try to get you to use Neopolydex which cats hate and costs a small fortune and has to be kept refridgerated, such a pain! I made a whole litter of kittens feral by having to put that in their eyes twice a day for two weeks. They hated people after that and I had to find them homes as barn cats.