any ideas on landscaping with food bearing plants???

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I know cucumbers and the like are big plants but the flowers on them before the veggie/fruit is pretty. Nasturtium is good because you can work that into salad and its gorgeous (we had it trained up the chicken run last year). At our place we're in the process of fronting our soon to go in garden picket fence with raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. We're also mixing edible with decorative in the flower beds at the front using strawberries and peppers which can be colourful too. I like the flowers on tomatoes so we've got some of those going into the front yard as well plus the big vegetable garden by the garage, the hay field turn orchard and corn field (its about a quarter acre behind the vegetable garden i had thoguht about fencing for Luna but decided was a pretty crappy idea).

How about fruit trees, Cherry, etc. They flower, and produce.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I agree- Creasy's book is great- sort of my bible when I started doing this years ago.
I forgot Scarlet Runner beans too- a real eye popper annual.

One thing I for got to mention is not growing sweet peas anywhere near regular peas- sweet peas are toxic.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sister says that she can eat her way through my yard when she comes to visit, yet it is not obvious that this was actually my plan when I planted my yard.

I have planted a 15 " row of blackberries at the front of my property. They have a natural, somewhat unrully charm at the road side. Since I live in a log cabin it is not out of place. I also have a crab apple tree that provides shade in my front yard and I make jelly from its fruits in the fall. I use compost from my composters and get "volunteer" cherry tomatoes where ever it is spread, especially around the blackberries.

In my back yard I have utilized pear trees and apple trees to provide shade along with other deciduous trees. I also have 2 large elder bushes which provide berries for jelly and wine. Their lovely lime green leaves and white clumps of flowers add interest in the spring and summer. Towards the back of the property I have a grape arbor that is a nice place to sit on a hot summer day and gives me about 25 pounds of grapes for jelly and juice. My asparagus bed is along the property line. The spears are tender and nutty in the spring and the ferns are an unusual but pretty back drop the rest of the time. I also have a raspberry bed that is about 15 feet long at the back of the property.

I do have several veggie beds, as well but they are just run of the mill.