Any members get a good deal on glass??

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I just discovered that the thermo-pane windows that I bought off of Craigslist for my greenhouse project, weren't such a good deal after all. They have separated,lost the vacuum, and are stained on the inside.
I need 8 pieces, 34 x 76, clear, no low E. This glass size should be standard for a wood 6 ft sliding glass door. I can use them either as plain glass(no frame) or with a simple frame/nailing strip(new construction style) I am in north central Ohio.

If anyone can hook a brother up, please let me know. I am majorly bummed out, and I really need to get this little project completed.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
For your project I don't think there would be a difference, if you can get the inside clean - there is procedure for it online somewhere.

Otherwise my brother has been getting ridiculously low cost windows and sliding glass doors at habitat for humanity in Louisville. New looking patio doors that cost $200 for only $20, a $250 concrete mixer for $30. I don't have one close by otherwise I'd be there every week.

http://www.habitat.org/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
389435030.jpg

To say that I am bummed would be an understatement. It was 90 plus degrees today. I sweated my backside off to get this glass out of storage and set in place.....only to discover it is junk. :he :hit

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The nearest habitat we have is 80 miles away..........

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Same for me, the nearest is about 60 miles and in a small town so they don't get much good stuff.

The windows don't look bad from here, are you sure it will be a problem? isn't most of the transmitted heat going to be from ultraviolet which may not be effected. You plan on shuttering them at night with polyiso board right?

You have to have it done by winter so I can glean all your info and data to determine if I should do the same.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The pictures don't do the damage justice. From the inside, you can hardly see out. There is only one piece of glass that cleaned up nice.

When I first started thinking/planning about this project, I was considering using triple wall polycarbonate. I decided to use real glass for the light transmission capabilities, insulation qualities, and the fact that I "got a deal" on this glass. :rolleyes: I really HATE the thought of having to use polycarbonate now that I am soooo close. :he

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have anything that big. I have a barn loft full of standard size old windows that anyone in need is welcome to, But you have to get them out of the loft and haul them.

There is a local place here (Ravenna, Ohio 44266) that sells used windows and doors. I'll be going to town within the next few days and I'll drive by the place and see if I can get some contact info for you. I can't remember the name of the place to look up.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Thanks Buckeye Lady. I need all the info and options I can get right now.

I just got my first quote back from a window/door supplier.
$199.00 per glass x 8 windows, is sorta out of my budget right now.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
After shopping and shopping and shopping some more.......the prices for the glass ranged from 178.00 up to 299.00 per glass. :th
I gave one last call yesterday afternoon, to an automotive glass shop in town, that has always treated me very fairly in past dealings. I explained my predicament to the lady, and she offered me a deal that was hard to turn down. Her cost on the insulated glass, 34 x 76 x 5/8 thick was 97.00 per piece. I had bought the glass I had for 20.00 per piece so even her offer was hard to swallow. When she threw in free delivery, I HAD to take her up on it! The new glass will be here next Thursday. :weee
In the mean time, I had put an add on Craigslist for the funky glass, and had a guy stop by today and take every piece I had, for the same money I paid for it two years ago! :celebrate So I at least got my money back on that end of the deal, PLUS I don't have to fool around moving it. We loaded it into his truck right off the wall of the greenhouse! :gig
Oh and get this...the guy has vending machines, so he paid me IN ROLLED QUARTERS!! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
The nearest habitat we have is 80 miles away..........
You're 80 miles from Canton?? I'm pretty sure there is one in the Canton/North Canton area.