any recipes for possums?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Just a heads up on the taste. Its not PORK. Very greasy. I have a very vague memory of my Dad placing possum on the table once when I was a very young girl. My mother was not at home. However when she discovered that he had not only cooked a possum in her oven but had fed it to me there was a very wild domestic dispute that ended with her holding her favorite cast iron skillet in the air threatening to whack him upside his bald head.

Hey back Noobie

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
Just a heads up on the taste. Its not PORK. Very greasy. I have a very vague memory of my Dad placing possum on the table once when I was a very young girl. My mother was not at home. However when she discovered that he had not only cooked a possum in her oven but had fed it to me there was a very wild domestic dispute that ended with her holding her favorite cast iron skillet in the air threatening to whack him upside his bald head.

Hey back Noobie
Bahahahaha! Good ole cast iron!
Good to know on the taste... I'd have to be starving anyways... :p
Squirrel is AWESOME!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive never had squirrel but i have had possum...
id say taste wise it was a weird combination of chicken, pork and duck...
cant say id want to make it a huge part of my diet as it was very greasy, but overall taste was quite nice
we had it spit roasted with lots of onion garlic salt and pepper and by lots of garlic i mean literally we shoved onion and peeled garlic into the body cavity along with cornbread stuffing lol.

in a pinch definatly a good source of meat (quite a bit of good meat on it) its all "dark" meat...
but definatly do not eat fresh trapped, id personally feed them through for at least 2 weeks in a pinch to "detox" the meat.

also be warned, possum have musk glands just like skunks (in my opinion it smells even worse because it actually smells like rotting meat, it accompanies the "playing dead" thing they do lol) so you have to dispatch of them quickly and process carefully or the smell will taint the meat.

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree totally about not really wanting to eat it. It almost sounds like it wouldnt even be worth messing with. I really dont think I would want to waste precious scraps to detox the little varmit. Seems like a lot of fuss for a one meal meat dinner. But, just thought I might want to print out a few recipes and add it to my folder of how too's.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was very young, my dad used to put these wire cage traps out in the woods. We would catch all kinds of small birds and mammals, including feral cats and a lot of opossum. It was kind of a cracker nature course, I guess. He used to put the opossum in a wood and chicken wire cage out back, for us to feed and watch for a while. Eventually, one day we would come home and dad would tell us he let the opossum go.

Years later I suddenly realized that most every time that happened, I was told that dad had also been hunting that day, and mother fixed "rabbit" he had shot for supper. So if you ask me, opossum tastes like rabbit.

My Grandad said in the past he used to keep them in a pen for two weeks, feeding them potatoes and cornbread

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
ive
possum have musk glands just like skunks (in my opinion it smells even worse because it actually smells like rotting meat, it accompanies the "playing dead" thing they do.
I didn't know that! Learn something new every day!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well Granny, Jed, Jethro and Ellie Mae all seemed to think it was the best thing since sliced bread. Especially if it was served with grits and greens.