Anyone built a smoker from a tank (water, propane, etc)?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here at SS has built a smoker, using an old propane tank, a cylindrical water tank, or something similar.

If so, how did you go about it?

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not sure how they did it but last year my DS and DSIL made a smoker out of one of those tool boxs that goes across the back of a pick up truck. Dont remember what they used as a fire box. Will see if I can get him to send me some pix of it

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
piecemaker said:
Not sure how they did it but last year my DS and DSIL made a smoker out of one of those tool boxs that goes across the back of a pick up truck. Dont remember what they used as a fire box. Will see if I can get him to send me some pix of it
Interesting. I guess pretty well and "box" of roughly that size can be made to do the trick.

I do know a lot of guys use old tanks.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go to instructables.com I was just there searching for the same thing and came across many lessons in doing so with food grade barrels. I found some really cool BBQ's at jerrysbbqbarrels.com and was searching for detailed instructions. I really want one of these!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Go to instructables.com I was just there searching for the same thing and came across many lessons in doing so with food grade barrels. I found some really cool BBQ's at jerrysbbqbarrels.com and was searching for detailed instructions. I really want one of these!
Yeah, well the first designs I saw were working with propane tanks. The tanks are good and durable for the purpose, but you have to do a lot of prep with a decomissioned propane tank before it's safe to cut it - whether you're cutting with a cutting torch or an angle grinder with a zip wheel (due to the sparks). Otherwise you can get fire/explosion.

I'll check out the instructables.com entries. Thanks.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Go to instructables.com
I noticed the ones featured on there that are made from large clay planter pots! :lol: Clever and kinda nice looking, I suppose.

The ones made from a 55 gallon drum seem pretty big, if you're going to be smoking food for just a small household. Not sure. Maybe I'll feel better about that idea after I mull it over for a while.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always wanted to try a cardboard box smoker. Cheap, disposable, won't take up storage space. Looks kind of cheesy, though. :lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With allthe DIYers here on SS, I'm surprised the voice of experience hasn't piped up. :hu

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a co-worker that built a smoker out of an old fuel-oil tank and it works really well. He can put a large hog in it.

For the firebox, he used an old 55 gallon barrel, but this is not lasting very long.

Because of this, I found a fuel oil tank on craiglist for free, and am planning on building my own. For the box, I think I will just go to the scrap iron place and get sheets of steel and make my own box--and put a hinged bottom on it so I can dump the ashes into a wheel barrel.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
Because of this, I found a fuel oil tank on craiglist for free, and am planning on building my own. For the box, I think I will just go to the scrap iron place and get sheets of steel and make my own box--and put a hinged bottom on it so I can dump the ashes into a wheel barrel.
Thanks for replying, Scott.

Do you have a design you're following? Has it been published on the internet?

Also, how thick would you estimate the sheet metal is on the old fuel-oil tank?