Anyone built a smoker from a tank (water, propane, etc)?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
ScottSD said:
Because of this, I found a fuel oil tank on craiglist for free, and am planning on building my own. For the box, I think I will just go to the scrap iron place and get sheets of steel and make my own box--and put a hinged bottom on it so I can dump the ashes into a wheel barrel.
Thanks for replying, Scott.

Do you have a design you're following? Has it been published on the internet?

Also, how thick would you estimate the sheet metal is on the old fuel-oil tank?
I think it is fairly thick based on it's weight when we moved it, but won't really know until I cut it open.

As far as a plan, I plan on just cutting the top half off at an angle, hinge it and place the firebox beside it....no exact plans on it. I have way way too many projects in limbo as it is and not sure if I will even get to this one next summer.

I also have a motor and gear reducer and a pulley set aside for the rotisserie when smoking a large hog.

I will do some looking on the internet and let you know if I find a design like I was planning on using.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Are you wanting to build a cold smoker, or a hot smoker? I have the design for a cold smoker in a book, but probably won't be building one soon. Until I'm able to raise my own meat, I don't really plan on doing any smoking. But, if you're interested and I can find the book, I'll let you know how they make one.

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I built one out of a propane tank. Took me a week to get up the nerve to cut it with the torch! I just took the valves and plugs out, filled it up with water, dumped it out, filled it back up to about two inches from the top and made a gas trail from the top of the tank to about 20ft out and lit it. Not sure if all of it was necessary, but I was super afraid of blowing up! The tank was 5/16" thick and my fire box was 3/8". I had alot of experience with the old school side fire box type smokers and hate them with a passion. EVERYONE make theirs like that. So, I thought outside the box and dreamed a way to distribute the heat evenly with no hot spots-at all. It actually worked out great. If the link to my photobucket dont work, let me know and I will post pics. http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/delarosa74868/Smoker build/

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
daniel-delarosa said:
I built one out of a propane tank. Took me a week to get up the nerve to cut it with the torch! I just took the valves and plugs out, filled it up with water, dumped it out, filled it back up to about two inches from the top and made a gas trail from the top of the tank to about 20ft out and lit it. Not sure if all of it was necessary, but I was super afraid of blowing up! The tank was 5/16" thick and my fire box was 3/8". I had alot of experience with the old school side fire box type smokers and hate them with a passion. EVERYONE make theirs like that. So, I thought outside the box and dreamed a way to distribute the heat evenly with no hot spots-at all. It actually worked out great. If the link to my photobucket dont work, let me know and I will post pics. http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/delarosa74868/Smoker build/
Beautiful job, Daniel. And all the pics are great.

When you did the second water filling (leaving a space), then made a gas trail & lit that - could you tell if there was any combustible gas (propane) left in the tank? Or did the flare-up from the gasoline itself obscure any determination of whether there was propane still there to burn?

Some things I've read about flushing out old propane tanks say that if there's any propane left in the tank, bubbles will continually rise to the top of the H20 after you fill the tank with water.

I know what you mean about wanting to be careful!

daniel-delarosa

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
No, nothing at all happened. It was hilarious cause we all ran and ducked around the corner of the shop. We felt pretty stupid afterwards. but Id rather feel stupid than take a chance on having my face blown off,lol.

BACOG

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a smoker out of an old bread cabinet that is about 5 feet tall, a foot & a half wide and 2 feet deep. figured on using the parts from an old gas grill for the burner. So far total cost is $0. Will post pictures when it is done.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
its made from an old compressor tank
5207_2011-12-14_11-55-40_972.jpg

the tongs are resting on the firebox it has removable grating and a removable rotisserie. fits about a 75lb hog

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very nice unit you made there. Thanks for posting about it.