Anyone else fry their own corn chips?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GF ond her daughter love them. Can't wait to make home made tortillias,and try the, just no time.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sorta...........The Wife takes pita bread, splits it, then cuts it into pie shaped pieces. Then we sprinkle it with Majic Dust and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until crispy, not burned.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Sorta...........The Wife takes pita bread, splits it, then cuts it into pie shaped pieces. Then we sprinkle it with Majic Dust and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until crispy, not burned.
Majic dust???

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
justusnak said:
SKR8PN said:
Majic dust???
If I tell ya then I have to kill ya. :gig

It is my secret rub that I make up for smoking meat or as a spice in just about anything.

Ya gotta promise not to laugh at some of the ingredients....

1/2 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Kosher Salt,finely ground
1/4 cup brown/turbinado Sugar plus a couple of tbls
3 tablespoons Mustard Powder
1/4 cup Mild Chili Powder
1/4 cup Ground Cumin OR Adobo
1/8 cup Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup granulated Garlic
cup granulated Onion
1-2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper OR Chipotle pepper
1 box of Black Cherry Jello (3 ounces)
1/2 tablespoon Chinese Casia Cinnamon

I experiment with different jello flavors depending on my mood and what I am cooking.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know...I wasn't laughing...till I saw the jello. It does sound interesting tho! Hmmm, jello...Hmmm, I might have to try that recipe. Thanks for shareing it. ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
wooddustmaker said:
GF ond her daughter love them. Can't wait to make home made tortillias,and try the, just no time.
I tried once, using the maseca corn flour, made it like you would for tortillas. then I used my pasta maker to make strips.(didn't work that well) Then I deep fried them and salted heavily. They were good for about the first ten minutes, and then they got soggy and soft.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Laughing at the jello over here too :lol:

I have made my own tortilla chips from store bought tortillas, but the time that it takes to make and roll out homemade tortillas, well....I'd prefer to just eat them as is!

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy corn tortilla's and cut them into pie shapes and deep fat fry, drain on paper towels and salt. Wonderful! They are great! And way cheaper then the stuff in the bags and has a lot better flavor.
Black Cherry Jello........... I have got to try this on fresh rabbit now. It sounds quite interesting.
Thank you........ will try to give you an update when I use it.

the lady w/ 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
My husband so desperately wants us to make our own tortilla chips from scratch. He tried once, but whatever he did - didn't work. :/

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Without a word from me, hubby came home today with a bag of corn tortillas and a pile of avocados. He made corn chips and guacamole. So yummy!

I don't know if i've had them that way before, but they were super good.