Anyone got a good pickled onion recipe?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got a few gallons of onions that didn't grow to be very big and was thinking of pickling them.

Also, do the pickled onions need to be pressure canned?

Thanks for the feed back ahead of time!

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess not.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've really not done just onions but I have added them to my pickles and Gardenia mix and as long as you have vinegar brine or a sweet brine they should be fine water bathed.
I did a sweet and hot "relish" for my son and it was just sliced onions and sliced poblano peppers with the bread and butter type sweet brine on it and they were really good. I only water bathed them and they were fine.
Hope that helped a bit.:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Small (like pearl onion) size ones, or sliced-up larger onions, pickle quite easily although sometimes more squishy than storeboughten. (Pickle Crisp *might* fix that, I've never tried, I don't mind slightly floppy onions :p).

You definitely do not want to try pickling larger whole onions b/c then you get into needing pressure-canning and that will cook them to mush.

A good alternative, if your onions are non-small and you don't like slightly-squishy cut-up pickled onion slices, is to make onion relish. Not only good as a hamburger condiment, has plenty of snack and cooking uses too :)

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I love pickled onions, but I've never made em myself.

Even better is onion pickled with curry spices................. :drool

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
A good alternative, if your onions are non-small and you don't like slightly-squishy cut-up pickled onion slices, is to make onion relish. Not only good as a hamburger condiment, has plenty of snack and cooking uses too :)

Pat
Do you (or other members) have an onion relish recipe to share? I looooove onions!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make this relish. Excellent on hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, beans:

Onion Relish

1 1/2 gal. ground Vidalia Onions (16 to 20, about 10 lbs.)
1/2 c. salt
1 qt. cider vinegar
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. pickling spice
4-oz. jar chopped pimentos
4 1/2 c. sugar

Grind or use food processor for enough onions to yield 1 1/2 gallons, add 1/2 cup salt and let stand 30 minutes. Drain juice from mixture and discard juice. To onions, add vinegar, sugar, spices (tied in cheesecloth or use a tea ball) and pimiento. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. Pack both onions & cooking liquid to cover in sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles by tapping bottom of jar or running knife to bottom several times. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes about 8 pints or 16 half-pints.