anyone having any luck selling products or crops localy?

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was thinking about growing some crops or something and selling locally but not sure what to try first.

Any ideas?

Just looking for something to bring me a few hundred/month.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am working on setting up an alterations business. I have plenty of referrals already, but, still working on the logistics of it all. Paperwork, etc....... Do you sew? Make things? Cook or clean for people? Everyone is affected by the economy...and it just keeps getting worse. I am ending up having to create my own job. Even SO, who is a machinist...is stuck at his current job. Cannot get another one. He applied at a place online...came back that 598 others had applied for that same position. And that is locally!!

I would sure like to see where things are "allegedly" improving in the economy.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Take a look at your skills... and use those skills to bring in some extra money. I draw, so I sell portraits of people's pets and kids...sometimes houses.

I don't have a green thumb and although I grow veggies for my own family, I wouldn't trust myself to grow crops to make even a few hundred dollars a month. That said, hops are a good crop around here... microbreweries buy them up so they can say they use local products. There is a farm near us with 35 acres of hops planted and they said the entire crop is sold before they even begin to harvest. It depends on your area, and how good the land is that you want to grow on... some crops would do better in sandy soil, others better in heavier soils, etc.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Any fruits or veggies produced here, we usually preserve the bounty and keep it in the jar. However we sell Eggs, Extra Birds, Hatchlings, and Rabbits. We sold 35$ worth of eggs in 5 days. :D About to have a few chicks hatch in the bator. After we get the milk cow we plan to sell milk soaps. :D

dillpickle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Any fruits or veggies produced here, we usually preserve the bounty and keep it in the jar. However we sell Eggs, Extra Birds, Hatchlings, and Rabbits. We sold 35$ worth of eggs in 5 days. :D About to have a few chicks hatch in the bator. After we get the milk cow we plan to sell milk soaps. :D
Wow Buff thats awesome!

How would one go about building up a customer base for these items? Do you advertise or what?

thanks for sharing!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
dillpickle said:
BarredBuff said:
Wow Buff thats awesome!

How would one go about building up a customer base for these items? Do you advertise or what?

thanks for sharing!
Thats just people she works with! And word of mouth is best advertisement. Now for the animals, I have a lady who takes excess rabbits to eat. Then people usually ask my aunt or mother if I have any excess birds. I had two people ask abotu chicks in the Fall so Im keeping them in mind.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I have also been selling eggs to the people I work with.

I am curious, how much do you charge per dozen?

And, I was wondering about any issues with the eggs if they come up. If they ate a bad one what could happen? They go in the fridge the day we collect them, but you never know if a bad one can get in there. I do tell them to check them over before eating them.

This is basically a hobby for me, not a business. I sell them basically to help pay for the feed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
2$ a dozen. Thats why we sell to trustworthy people. If they had bad eggs, theyve never said anything. They keep for several monthes......

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sell eggs, birds, and rabbits too. Mostly I trade eggs to one neighbor for bags of feed though.

As far as crops that will sell here...tomatoes get a really good price, green beans get an obscene price($18 a bushel, I wouldn't pay that), and any kind of melon, or sweet potatoes, corn, summer squash, etc. all get good prices. Anything that you see that most people grow, means most people in your area eat alot of it, so grow extra to sell. More oddball items I generally swap at the farmers market for things that I didn't get to grow well.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was making around $1800-2200 per Saturday at the farmers market
(big one in Charlotte)

with our hogs, eggs, produce and my goat milk soaps

OH YEA there is ways to make money for sure. sell small potted herbs you grow, produce, make natural soaps, ALSO go kinda specialty like we did. harvested baby corn. I shucked millions, put in small bags and sold for a small fortune. they were delish lol while everyone sold big corn on the cob, I sold midgets for stir fry and sold a ton to the yuppies

hard work OH YEA but our farm did well.