Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Don't worry as things continue to worsen they will find us.
I began talking to a good many of my buddies five or six years ago about prepping and becoming more self-sufficient. They all looked at me like I had a third eye. Many still do. They just shake their heads, roll their eyes and change the subject. Now that I am well set up and seeing results some of them are asking questions. There is only one person out of all the men I know that paid close attention and started preparing. It took him two years to convince his wife that while she is shopping, if they need one, Buy 2 or 4. What finally got her on board was proving to her it would not be cheaper next week.
I'm close to retirement as are many of my friends. When I ask them how they would get by without their pension or social security they refuse to consider that it might possibly not be there down the road.
I brew wine and hard cider every year and rarely drink it just because I see it as a good item to barter with down the road. ( besides I prefer an adult beverage made with hops and barley and I can still afford it ) Same with ammunition (not that I make it) I have enough put away to last me two lifetimes because down the road it could be very difficult to buy. I harvest fresh fruit, rhubarb, asparagus and grapes, Grow more vegtables than I can use and the chickens provide so many eggs that sometimes I boil, mash, and feed them back to the chickens, shells and all.
Most of my neighbors take their trash to the street weekly and the containers are overflowing. I had trash picked up once in July. Paper all gets burned. Compost, recycle, reuse and repurpose for everything else has become a way of life.
My next project will be a solar dehydrator as I am running out of freezer space and closet space for canned goods.
The men who are here know full well what we are facing. The men who are not here will figure it out. They just don't want to stop and ask directions. :gig
Yeaaaahhhhh, I know what you are saying on a lot of that.....
In real life, I have noticed a lot more women interested in SS stuff than men.
Funny when you think that so much of SS is more traditionally man stuff, like building stuff.

What did the man say? "If they don't find you handsome, at least they can find you handy?"

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It can be a hostile environment. I use a gender free name on here but once they figure out I am male it seems that I can't know S... anything about the female arts. Well this old Bachelor had to learn many of those the hard way in order to live in comfort. Way back in the dark ages both genders had to take one half school year in both Home Economics and in Wood Shop in order to graduate HS. On the other hand I had to take my case to the school board to get permission to take Typing since I might disrupt the Ladies that hopped to work in an office one day. So when do they teach 'keyboarding now?
I just trotted out the statists that showed that typed term papers got better grades then the same paper written in long hand even with a Fountain Pen.
I recently visited 3 big box office supply stores and not one of them had a simple bottle of ink. Times change, adapt or die! ~gd

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I rest my case. All we want is free beer, food and sax, according to many of the ladies here. Well I can do the first 2 as well as they can and for the last I am pretty well past it.~gd

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
~gd said:
Beekissed said:
I rest my case. All we want is free beer, food and sax, according to many of the ladies here. Well I can do the first 2 as well as they can and for the last I am pretty well past it.~gd
I thought womens lib was about equality! Equal is equal is equal...isn't it? I have no doubt that you guys can be as good in the kitchen, on the sewing machine, etc etc as we womenfolk...I think for the most part we just wish you guys would spend more time at the sink doing dishes :lol: But then, like my hubby says "Who would shovel the driveway and take out the trash and get under the car in the dead of winter when it won't start " :)
...what's wrong with free beer and food? Ahhhh, but the other is a real learned art...and just when you think you've learned it, the hormones change everything, and it's back to square one and wondering what went wrong:) To be honest, as a woman, I am just as confused about it as you guys are at this point LOL!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
4407_sax_altomed.jpg

Aww, c'mon, ~gd. Give us a toot! :gig

I'm sure you're still okay at #3.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

my hubby is a farmer/handy guy. works hard but would never type a word on this forum. just not him. So while I am more SS finding ways to improve and learn and save money and time and get out of the whole rat race a bit, he follows my lead and handles the heavy duty projects and more.

I don't know how you would get many many men to post. We never had tons of men on here.