Are we living our dreams?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Figs! I love them. Last year a friend gave me some and I made up a lemon fig preserve, here's the recipe.

Fig Preserves
3 cups sliced figs-thin
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 3 lemons
2 cups sugar
Bring to a boil, them simmer on medium heat until it thickens up. Pack in hot jars and water bath. I got 2-- 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jar.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pan de Higo (Spanish Fig Cake)
by The Gilded Fork on 12/01/2008

Pan de higo is a traditional way to preserve figs for the cold winter months. The artisanal fig cake is a specialty of Jaen in Andalusia, and as it contains no flour, the cake will last a long time. This is such a traditional and amazing recipe we haven’t given it our usual twist – we’re just presenting it in its delicious simplicity. Pan de higo travels well, and is perfect for a Spanish-themed picnic; pack along with chorizo, manchego or garrotxa cheese, some crusty bread, and a bottle of Spanish wine.

8 servings

Ingredients

1 pound dried figs
½ cup Marcona almonds
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
½ teaspoon anise seeds
Cinnamon, to taste
1 tablespoon honey
Brandy, as needed to bring the mix together

Equipment

Food processor

Preparation

Toast the almonds and grind them in the food processor, pulsing gently until the almonds are chopped, but stop before they turn to a paste. They should be of varying sizes.

Clean the dried figs, removing the stems, and mince them in the food processor.

Mix the almonds with the figs, the ground cloves, the sesame seeds, anise seeds and a dash of cinnamon, to taste. Add the honey and just enough brandy to hold the mixture together, mixing well to evenly distribute the seeds and the liquid.

Lightly flour a clean counter and form the cake into a loaf shape or log shape. Place the pan de higo in a container with a weighted plate on top to compress it, and let stand in a cool dry place for several days to dry it out.

Service

Slice the pan de higo and serve with slices of manchego cheese, or serve drizzled with honey. It’s also lovely with a glass of sherry.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man - that sounds delicious! DH is not a drinker, but hey - I got no problems with a little alcohol, lol. Thanks for sharing that - it is on my list!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last weekend I got facebook messages from the neighbors that my goats had eaten their orange trees, so I offered to replace and I've set up that fence, like I said, but there is a 10 ft section of severe weakness that I'm hoping the goats won't discover too quickly.
I'd really like to make sure all my animals have water, extra food and know for a fact that they will all survive the weekend, even if the kids neglect them. Besides, DS is on his morning shift, and won't be home until 6pm everyday. DD 25 is in charge, I guess.
I figured if I opened the garden up, I won't get neighborhood drama (Please).....
Well, I could really use DD 25 to show up about now, because DD 18 decided suddenly to go to VBS with her little sisters to help out.....GRRRR!!!!
So I think I will write a wish list of all the extra things I want done and ask each of my kids to pick from the list.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First batch of chevre was a huge success at work. The nurses and administrator wiped me out. I'm going to get the message out that I'm starting a little business on goat's cheese. My godchild was checking out prices from different people that sell it, online and I think I can safely ask a dollar/Lb. I've got the 2nd batch straining right now and I need to go milk the doe.
I was already told chevre taste better in France due to our's being pasturized, so I did a batch of fresh........omg, it was so good!!! Well, thats my latest project and I hope its a winner; not a winnie. Okay......now to get to it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A dollar a pound?? Are you kidding me?? That sounds way way way CHEAP!! What about prices in the grocery stores? Don't sell yourself short. Your labor, the feed for the goats, is worth more than a dollar. JMO