Are we living our dreams?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I showed up in the coop, not a minute too late. Nothing is out of the egg yet, but something is peeping and has broken a half inch.
Well, they are all in lockdown.
I have been loving looking out onto my yard because the full-grown flock is stuck in the coop, but the babies have been loose for weeks and have been on free range, not costing me anything. I don't feed them anything and they are all growing. They have gotten more courage over the past few weeks and are just running everywhere. In the beginning, they stayed under cover but now, they have no fear, which isn't exactly a good thing.
Well, one of my guys are building some very light weight tractors for single birds or pairs, which I plan on using to keep things safe, cheap and clean. Instead of calling them chicken tractors, we should call them chicken mowers or chicken bushogs.
Well, my other hired help owes me a little money for an advance and I just learned, he is at large and their is a warrant for his arrest. He isn't a dangerous criminal, but screwed up and I probably won't see him for several years. Sad really. And he was the one who knew about electricity the most. Really wish I had gotten him to install the gate before all this went down.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Feel so bad for the family of my at large boy.
Well, hope he is at least safe.
Told other guy I still want all the supplies I bought to be used ASAP, so we can come into the homestretch and halt everything, but it will take him longer because other guy is gone.
Time waits for no one and it is already late in day, farming wise. So glad finished all that dance recital business and can get down to some normal living. Do have to go to Florida in a few weeks for national competition.
Well, have a rodent problem. Rats. Has happened before, but not in recent years. I used to do good with mouse traps over rat traps, but they set them off and didn't get killed this go round. So tried sticky traps, but they got stuck, and knew to stick the trap against something else and pry themselves off. So bought some rodent radio thingies and not saying they not helping, but still some rats. So as a last resort, I bought rat traps and have now killed 2 of them. Have 3 traps set about the house and my dog found one of them. I am trying to not use poison because they way they supposed to work and the way they actually work are two different things. I personally don't like the smell of rotting rat flesh in my walls....not knowing what wall to rip apart and having the aroma in my rooms for 3 weeks. So, I will just keep some traps set. Think we can put a few more traps in the attic. I also have a repeating rat trap, but haven't caught one in there yet. Of course, as soon as I start planting my container garden, downstairs, I will be planting lots of mints, so hopefully this house stinks to them. I don't hear the scratching as much since we disposed of the two dead rats....actually don't know if I have heard any at all, but must still have one because DS informs that the trap in the bathroom was unset and bait gone. That tells me something. But I'm gonna get them!!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So.....this is a story of why I can't get anything done in an orderly fashion.
I drank coffee and got dressed and headed out to do my chores, which I was planning on just putting the goat to work on weeds, feeding and watering everything else. That should have only taken 15 minutes. Then I could have come in and kept my girls focused.
What actually happened, was I went out with matches, relocated some empty cement sacks onto some rotten pilings and threw some old wood to burn, put a goat on weed control, drug another piling toward the burning, feed chickens, noticed the rooster harassing a younger rooster, so caught younger one and put into new chicken tractor to keep safe and save me money and while at it, caught scovy drake to put on death row and then caught another rooster to also put in another tractor, rolled another old piling to fire, fed rest of livestock and put water in water fowl's pools, grabbed sacks and began picking up trash in coop, garden and yard, separating according to if its to burn, recycle or actually throw away, drug water container closer to its needed location to begin thinking about using it to catch rain, caught about 7 half grown chickens to put in coop, which I have just released of 3 full-sized males.
Now....I might have forgotten something, but any of you can do that in 15 minutes? I didn't think so. Neither can I. Was more like 3 hours. And I wonder where my days go.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds like my kind of day.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to be sleeping but DH called me flipping out over what dance school to send DD12 to. I want to help godchild start a new school and was going to give her my full support, but DH wants her to stay put, which means going to godchild's competition. Well, he was all crazy on me and then called godchild and she kept calm and pretended she was having trouble hearing with the cell phone issues and gets him happy about a few things (she is smart) and decides to go over for a visit....basically to calm his butt down. Well, she is expecting a baby in September and is there now and just shooting the bull with his crazy butt. So after 90 minutes, I couldn't take it, so I call her to talk about homemade soap and that we will have to wait until tomorrow cuz I'm too sleepy to do tonight and she says she will bring the gloves and I hear laughter in the background. She knows I was just checking and all, but sounds like she has it under control.
Hot heads can take a decent, productive day and blow it all to pieces.
And my piling is still burning strong. Too bad we can't cut them up in pieces to burn in our stoves at bedtime in the winter. They'd still be burning by morning.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Drunks can do the same thing. :hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Drunks can do the same thing. :hugs
He probably was under the influence. That is the reason for such improvements in drainage to my barn. I buried my sorrows....all his empty wine and beer bottles.
It sounds like she got him on board last night.
Well my shipment of Life Vantage came in yesterday, so maybe I start taking today and see if I feel like a new woman in next few months. If I swear to it, y'all can believe me. Also, if its not in your area, you might want to be first.
Quiet house and coffee. Perfect way to plan my day.
So....if you were driving from Louisiana to Florida and had to cover all that distance on an interstate, would you know of something, in route that would be worth stopping off to see? I have decided to go in my own car because I don't want to be at the mercy of DH or DD.