Avalon1984-Chicken, horses, pigs, oh my!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay on the new Marans babies! :celebrate

I used to freeze 2 liter soda bottles for the chickens and rabbits to help them cool off back when I had a "real" fridge/freezer. Did the fan thing, like SSD, too!

Since we don't have electric up at the shed (yet) and are dealing with a dorm-sized fridge/freezer...ice cubes in everyones waterers and 12 oz. soda bottles. It makes me feel like I'm abusing them but at least it's something! :rolleyes:

Edited to add:

I'll gladly trade you some pear wine for a small bottle of your mead! :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SSD, went that route a few years ago w/my hair and I still had to pay to have it cut. Plus, I had to mail it in myself. And, it's not long enough for them.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quick update from my end before I fall asleep after yet another busy and oh so NOT relaxing weekend. Got the maran chicks sold for $20 for the trio. Good to see they are going to a good home.

We brought Katie, our Shire mare home on Saturday. She is doign good but I need to treat her scratches. She had a bad case before we got her and we've been able to slowly get rid of it but it does flare up when she gets stressed, like during a trailer ride. Here is a picture of her 2011 stud colt by the way. He is now in Arizona. I am so proud of his progress. We are having another one just like that on the way.

3820_easton_6-23-12_as_stallion.jpg

3820_easton_6_23_12_at_liberty.jpg

I finally got to fix the wooden fence today. Our dearly departed Nala used to actually lean over it to eat grass on the other side, and then one of the other mares tore into one of the posts and it was literally broke in half. I haven't been using the paddock since it happened and would really like to bring them back in so I replaced the sections and made them baby..ehm..foal proof as well. Here is the before and after.

3820_fence_before.jpg

3820_fence.jpg

3820_fence1.jpg

Ah...the Olympics. It's that time again. I always love watching the athletes and their stories. I watched Ashton Eaton beat the world record in the trials in decathalon the other day, how cool was that. It is always interesting to see how some of the athletes just started training for their careers 4-5 years go and are now in the Olympics and doing well. Makes me think what it would take to send one of our horses to the Olympics. Oh well, here is an inspirational picture that was sent to me via facebook. I don't know who took it although I'd love to give the credit. It is just neat seeing somebody like that. Have a good night y'alls!

3820_horse_lady.jpg

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So quick update from here as usual. I was weeding my garden the other day and realized it was infested with grubs. That would expain why only about 30% of the seeds I so carefully planned came up. So I bought a bag of grub ex and killed them off. My sunflowers are finally growing too, after the 3rd time of seeding. This weekend we'll be getting 200 bales of hay. that'll be interesting with temps in the 90's.

Talk to y'all later!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
better solution for grubs is sliced cucumber on aluminum foil scattered around the area. The chemical reaction from the acids in the cukes against the aluminum, drives grubs out.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have seen that girl, she has an amazing story, but I don't remember her name. She has done well in the paraolympics in the past years I believe.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
better solution for grubs is sliced cucumber on aluminum foil scattered around the area. The chemical reaction from the acids in the cukes against the aluminum, drives grubs out.
I will try that just to give them a double whammie treatment. Nasty little things.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I have seen that girl, she has an amazing story, but I don't remember her name. She has done well in the paraolympics in the past years I believe.
That is what I love about the Olympisc. We spend so much time telling ourselves what we CANNOT do, and then you see these people and if they can achieve it, why can't we?

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Thanks for this WBF! DH just found one in the garden this weekend, so I want to try to stop it before it even gets going!

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well well, what a nice surprise to see a beautiful block of beeswax greet me upon visiting this website. :love

I just wanted to throw out there that I hope everybody is safe with all the fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, droughts and other disasters going on. Makes me appreciate that our 100 degree heat wave will eventually pass on, but a house lost is a house lost.

I finally managed to check on the bees this weekend and it looks like I lost a hive to hive beetles. Well, there are 6 bees left but I think that is pretty much a no go. I orderd 4 types of beetle traps. The kind I used last time didn't work very well. We'll see what happens this time. Interestingly enough, my other new hive seemed to be double as big as it should be :/ So I added a deep super for them and they were very grateful. A friend fo mine has 2 huge colonies in the eaves of his house so we put a bait hive out there to see what we can do.

Still waiting on horse #4 to become pregnant. We should know the results of the new test in about 2 weeks.

The heat is a bit much right now. Pretty thankful we have fans going at night. My gardens are holding up well. The Grub ex helped a lot and my tomatoes are finally getting bushy. I also found a wild tomato growing on my pumpkin pile so I was happy for that. I will try and take some pictures this weekend. My poo piles are growing well again and soon I will be able to lock #2 down for the fall so that people can use it for their gardens next year. We always meet so many friends that way.

Oh well, so much for my randomness this week. I hope you are all doing well!

Latest posts