Avalon1984-Chicken, horses, pigs, oh my!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know if you could afford one or not, but I use a riding mower and dump cart for cleaning up after the horses. Then once a week, I take the tractor and push it all up in a big pile.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Deb,

Thanks for the advise. I do have a riding mower but something is wrong with the battery, or the charger, because it discharges the battery when it just sits around, so I need to disconnect the battery all the time. I also don't have a wagon for it, or a tractor to push manure. I will keep on saving for it though.

Won $250 in playing pulltabs over the weekend, my little vice. Considering I spent only $30 to win it, it was a good investment. I will use the money towards the vet bill today for all the ultrasounds. I think it will be around $400-500, and I have only paid the stud fee for 2 of the 4 mares so far, so any extra money is a big help right now.

We had a huge rain storm yesterday (the very day I had pulled all pumps, extension cords and drainage hoses of course). Hopefully the fresh grass will suck most of the moisture away and the puddles will be gone by this afternoon.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep stalking this thread waiting for pictures of the beeswax! Lol. The honey looks AWESOME! I wish I could raise honeybees. If I weren't allergic, I probably would have tried it by now, lol.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I keep stalking this thread waiting for pictures of the beeswax! Lol. The honey looks AWESOME! I wish I could raise honeybees. If I weren't allergic, I probably would have tried it by now, lol.
I will promise to take some tonight or tomorrow. Today will be busy with the mares preg-check and possibly going out to dinner depending on the results. I am almost done with my last batch, then I need to melt it all into one big block rather than many little chunks.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Do you sell it then, or do you use it for yourself? I can't wait to see the pictures, lol!
I will probably try to sell it, don't know if I have the market up here. There don't seem to be too many self sufficiency people in my corridor but I will try, since I need the money to pay for the new bees.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I finally got around to take a picture of my unfinished beeswax. The picture really doesn't do it justice because it is a dark day and the yellow is normally brighter.

3820_dsc01848.jpg

We just had the vet out and the birthing God was not good to us. None of our mares took in the last breeding. One did take but later aborted, so back to the drawing board. Thankfully my main breeder is such an understanding woman who keeps trying with us. Carmen will ovulate Wednesday so I will bring her up tomorrow, then Megan and Avi will go on Thursday and Katie will leave again on Friday. Everybody should be back Monday. :(

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry to hear about the ladies. That is such a bummer. :hugs

:fl Hoping for a better result this next time!

The bees wax looks so pretty! I bet it makes your house smell nice when you are cooking it down too!