baking stone substitute

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Any opinion on using bluestone as a baking stone? or is it more likely to crack/shatter. [I ask bec we have some leftover from a project]

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
it is natural stone, not heatproof to my knowledge.

I have been looking for unglazed tile. [it was mentioned on another thread as a less expensive baking stone], but looking at the leftover tile I started wondering.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Be Careful! You could get badly hurt trying to find out. Some stone will explode when heated at high temperature.
Especially any stone that came from an underwater source.
I also have a good deal of bluestone that I reclaimed from a dumpster at a job site that installed it as a walkway. I would be very curious if anyone has attepted to use it this way.
Good luck.

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
that's why i'm asking first. I'm chicken.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Can you heat up a charcoal grill in the middle of the lawn, set the stone on it and leave it till the fire dies out and its cool?
That way you can see if it will hold up to heat followed by cooling.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Be careful with flooring tile. It can have lead in it, since it is installed with the glazed side up.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Can you heat up a charcoal grill in the middle of the lawn, set the stone on it and leave it till the fire dies out and its cool?
Were it me to try that I would use a very small piece of the stone and insure the grill has a cover.
You can't just chip bluestone to cut it as it will flake. Which is why I would have my doubts about a baking stone application. If you don't have a small piece you would need a masonry saw to cut it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Were it me to try that I would use a very small piece of the stone and insure the grill has a cover.
You can't just chip bluestone to cut it as it will flake. Which is why I would have my doubts about a baking stone application. If you don't have a small piece you would need a masonry saw to cut it.
OK, since it chips, then I would advise forgetting about the whole idea.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would not trust the results of hte "grill experiment" very much -- one piece may be fine, another may explode.

Generally you do not want to put stones that will flake into campfires (because of the explosion factor), so I would be inclined not to want to put them in my oven either.

Pat

Latest posts