Ball Blue Book

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought the Ball Blue Book. The cover is blue with a picture of cheesecake topped with berries on it.

Today, I was in the store and saw it has changed. Now it has a peach dessert on the cover. Is this an updated version? Does anyone know what might have changed? Is my old book still safe to use? or should I get the new one?
:idunno

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
the old one should still be safe to use. I think they just changed up the cover to entice buyers. Some people may even collect the books, so they change the cover and viola, current book owner buys the new one due to the change of the look.

in all honesty, i just don't really know. i think my mom has both books, and i was pretty sure she said they are the same.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Think about it. Even when recommendations have changed (and most likely that is not the case, this is probably just a new printing), how many people actually got sick or died because of the OLD recommendations? Especially since we are not talking about comparing 1930's recipes to today's, we are talking about comparing like 2005 recipes to today's.

;)

Safe is relative, but really, with canning, the majority of safety lies not so much in the recipe but in the extent to which a person FOLLOWS it (and follows sensible safe procedures for it)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can you see if you can find the newer version at your library so you can check it out and photocopy any changes/new receipes that aren't in the book? May have included sugar-free receipes?????

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Is there a "revised" mentioned, or "updated"? Check the printing date behind he title page.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did some poking around on the internet. The new book is their 100th Anniversary Edition. It has more recipes, and goes into more detail for beginners. The cover also showcases their new, pricey line of Elite jars. You guys are right - I don't need it.

According to one Ball PR release:

A newly commissioned Ball Blue Book(R) Guide to Preserving will include new recipes that make it easy for beginner canners to get started, while also stretching the gourmet repertoire for experienced canners. Two thousand nine marks the 100th year of the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. The book will be available for the suggested retail price of $5.49.