BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am excited. I only want to can it for cooking because I know its yucky canned storebought....
Eta: Its mainly an experiment. I like to can using experimentation mu ha ha ha

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Howdy! Yeah its been a month time for an update.

1. Canning is almost wrapped up. :D
2. We got a Sams Club membership and have been adding items to our store.
3. The pantry should be built soon, like next week.
4. I sold 8 ducks hens, and working on saling the reamining pair and three drakes. Just to messy and hard to butcher for me.
5. Ive been feverishly working on a supply list for the dairy goats and estimating costs. Im doing good so far. I have the Jackie Clay goat book to lead me :D
6. The rabbit breeding is taking place, one is bred. The buck still has another two girls to please. :D
7. Meaties are getting big, almost time to kill :D

Yeah quick update but it tells my story of the week........ :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So how are your rabbits doing, my friend?

I have five does now and two bucks. But three of my does are not ready to breed until just in time for Easter.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
So how are your rabbits doing, my friend?

I have five does now and two bucks. But three of my does are not ready to breed until just in time for Easter.
They are good SD! You are building in numbers! Woohoo! I have 3 does and a buck now all bred except the buck of course :p

They are going to be grown and slaughtered in January. They are due around first of November.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I kept one of the male offspring, because I lost one of my bucks, I mean, we had to put him down. Somehow he broke his back or something in the cage? He seemed paralyzed. We don't know why that happened. So I have no one to breed the one doe to right now until her son grows up, that is the farthest away genetically I can get from her with what I have without the one who died. So I kept three females, they should be fine to be bred back to my OTHER buck. At this point, my genetics are no longer ideal but for breeding rabbits for meat, it isn't really a problem. But the family lines are awful close, it would be good if I could find someone to trade me bucks, but my breed is rare.

Are you still planning on getting goats?