Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i really like Yola.com, which also does free websites. their website creator is really, really easy to use and SUPER customizable. i had a whole site designed in a few hours (spread over a few days).

i haven't launched the site yet because i'm so attached to my blog and Yola doesn't host Wordpress blogs. it's the only real drawback i've found. once i have enough actual products to sell, i'll probably launch the Yola site and just keep my blog separate.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
There are also many areas on a college campus to put up fliers. I remember having a Mary Kay party on our dorm floor and those girls shelled out cash like nobody's business! Not that you have to host a party but college girls like that extra special touch that makes them feel beautiful!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There are also lots of people interested in what it is we do these days. You, my dear, have VALUABLE information for those folks. Maybe you could ask in the campus library or some other "gathering place" and get some space. Then hang a few fliers and prepare a little Self Sufficiency talk. Even if you only charge a buck or two for each person to come and listen you will be making money.

I know... If I told MY GEEK son to do something like that he would crawl into a hole and pull dirt over his head, but we have heard you here. You have something to say AND something to teach. You might make money on the talk, make money on some side soap sales and who knows... change the world?

:cool:

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amen to all above. And remember, you have friends all over the country who love and support you. Just think of us as your adopted moms and grandmothers. Oops, I guess there's a few uncles out there too. Now - get out there and make us proud. :woot

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Go for it! I had to type up a "chicken order form" this morning cause hubby has so many people that want chickens this year.

I'm hoping to do soap too when I get the goats so maybe if you do well you can give me some advice down the road!

I agree with the girls dorm thing....hit up the sororities and play up to the "all natural skin care" thing. They are usually pretty concerned with stuff like that.

Are there any natural food stores around you? What about any local gift shops?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
My sister is visiting this week so I haven't really been on. Once I have a bit of free time I'll reply to PMs and respond to you guys..

Thanks!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I just called in to the local health food store and talked to them about my soaps, the lady I talked to said that they are always interested in local goods. Soooo, when my next batch is done curing she said to call and we can schedule an appt. to meet and go over it all. I did tell her what I've been charging, the sizes of the bars, and the ingredients I usually use. I was worried that the price might be off-putting, but it sounds promising!

I also got an application at Goodwill, so I'm going to stop in tomorrow and turn that in.

Go me!!!