Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have potatoes coming up that I didn't plant!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope they are in a place they can stay, Deb! I just pulled a bag out of the back of the pantry of some potatoes that I got from the local college. I think they weren't sprayed with that sprout inhibitor, because some of the sprouts are over a foot long! I think I'm gonna stick these in some spare corner of the garden. Anything trying that hard deserves a chance to grow in the sun!

I finished making the trellis for the peas today, after a few false starts caused by not planning ahead. DH worked on putting together the wheelbarrow. It says it will hold 6 cubic feet; my smallest garden cart holds 4... so these two will work very nicely- they should fit between the beds very well.

The cucumbers weathered their hurried transplant very well, but I'm gonna have to put some extra fertilizer around them-- I didn't have time to work any into the soil before I planted them.

I've been boiling a bunch of turkey breasts I got on the cheap; I'll pull the meat and can it up to make dog food- I think I have enough to cover about 2 months of her meals.

A nice warm day, so I also did some more laundry and it's hanging out on the line.

Dinner tonight is pork roast braised with dried apples and onions, with rice and a green salad. I'm experimenting with the dessert- I have a chocolate cake mix, and I thought I'd dump some canned cherries into the batter. Can't decide whether to have chocolate frosting or top it with cherry pie filling?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't do cake with layers- too much work. Anyway, the boys voted for chocolate frosting on top. They decided I had put enough cherry stuff in there by using a pint of canned cherries and then using the juice from it instead of water.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think I'm coming to your house for dinner! :drool

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got some stuff done this weekend- All the bed frames are put together and awaiting hardware cloth on the bottom before being sited and filled with soil. A little over half the garden is planted and growing now (except for the spinach and the arugula- they never did sprout). I canned 11 quarts of pulled turkey breast and 3 quarts of turkey broth from a good sale. The laundry is about half done now, and I'm closing in on the kitchen.

Yesterday we went into town to pick up Borax and Washing Soda (plumb out of laundry detergent!) and we passed a yard sale and I thought I saw something. I made him pull a Belgique (Belgians are so fond of Uturns that they are called Belgiques in Europe, lol) and head back. Yup, there it was- a 3 wheeler! (pedal pusher, not gas). The tires are well and truly shot, and it needs a chain and a brake cable, but everything else is in great shape. The guy only wanted $50! Then I found a manual ice cream maker in superb shape for $35, and DH found a leather holster that would fit his cap and ball pistol. The guy threw in the holster for free and we loaded up and proceeded into town to finish our errands.
When we got home, DH started cleaning up the holster and found maker's marks on it. It was made by John Bianchi and he's very excited because apparently Bianchi is THE NAME in custom holsters.

Today we need to finish building the wicking boxes for the tomatoes.
Dinner is grilled hamburgers, sweet potato fries, cole slaw and a rustic cherry tart... Good fare!

I hope you all have a wonderful day today. Take a few moments to remember and thank those that have made these good times possible.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I'm weird, but I hate yard/barn/garage sales! I always feel uncomfortable & I'm horrible at haggling so I either make DS#2 do it (he's really quite good) or if he's not with me I just drive on by :( I won't even HAVE a yard sale myself - last one I tried, I became physically ill from dreading it so badly! I know, I'm a freak :p

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not a big yard saler myself, it was just seeing the 3-wheeler that made me want to stop. Still, I have found some really nice things over the years- clothing, canning jars, furniture. But most of the time looking at the detritus of other people's lives is kind of depressing to me.

Had my first doctor's appt at the VA today (other than the lab last week). The results of the lab are that my blood pressure is up, A1C is up but still normal, and although total cholesterol is reasonable, the LDL(bad) is a bit too high. So pretty much, I need to lose weight and control blood sugar better. :\

So now I'm home, and it's time to go back out to the garden and work on more planting.

Latest posts