Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience - I gotta say that the intense pain from road rash and just the shock of the fall will probably last at least 5 - 7 days. DH and I went down together once, and a couple years later he took a fall allll by himself and broke a couple of ribs. (this would be the reason I don't ride behind him anymore!)

I guess hindsight can be humorous. ( I know you're not there yet!) DH and I were not married when we took our tumble together. At that time he lived a couple hours away. When he came to visit he slept on the couch. After our tumble I didn't have the heart to make him sleep on the couch and I let him share a bed with me.

Now... in as nice a way as I can put this... if you stood outside the bedroom door that night you would have heard LOTS of moans and groans - LOL. But the only reason for those moans and groans was the pain that both of us were going through from the wreck!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby and I were dating when I got my wisdom teeth out and I did nothing for the next 3 days but sleep! Hubby had come to see me, I was in bed, and couldn't stay awake. Had the bedroom door wide opened. He decided to get up next to me and take a nap. My mom was NOT happy!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugsSorry to hear about your DH's accident. It is so hard to be a caretaker to someone who doesn't want to stay put and heal!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is doing better today. I managed to keep him in bed pretty much all day yesterday, and I think my new name is Five Horse Woman (Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag) but I got him to drink enough water that things are looking more like the proper color. I need to have his right wrist checked. The ER did not find anything, but I believe it's either broken or chipped, or badly sprained. The swelling won't go down, and it got so painful for him any time it moved even a little that I've made a sort of splint out of a rolled up newspaper and an Ace bandage (note to self- need to either get a new Ace bandage or some safety pins because I can't find the little hook doohickeys). I put a spare pillow next to it so it's higher than his heart when he rests it, but the swelling hasn't gone down yet.
He's walking better also, and insisting on going to the bathroom now instead of using the "guzunda".

Friends came over and helped me get the motorcycle out of the truck and parked under the apple tree where it will keep very well until DH is well enough to deal with it. So now the last big worry is how we're going to pay for all this; but I haven't gotten any bills, citations, or anything else except the cost of getting the bike back... so I'm not going to think about it much right now, except to NOT buy anything we don't absolutely need.

I finally got the kitchen cleaned up, and swept the floor in there and the utility room-- and washed a load of kitchen and utility cloths.

Crockpot dinner tonight- it's called Mexican Beef Soup- got beef chunks, red beans (supposed to be black but oh well), corn, onion, jalapeno, green bell pepper, chili powder and cumin... no tomato at all which is a departure from most of the mexican type dishes I'm familiar with. It smells good though. DH can't use a knife so I figure this is a good bet- he can sip the broth and use a spoon on the meat and veggies, with some warm corn tortillas on the side. AND... it isn't heating up the house much. We still have some of the frozen yogurt I bought him, so we can have that with some canned blueberries or cherries.

I've got the watering of the garden back in hand, I think the only plants that actually suffered were some of the ones in pots- it just dries out so much faster. I'll have to wait a little longer to start weeding though; maybe in a few more days DH will be well enough that I don't have to be a helicopter mom with him.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If nagging is what you've gotta do to insure his compliance - that's just what you've gotta do! I'm sure he appreciates it even if he won't admit it out loud.

Hope his wrist isn't broken and glad you're pushing the fluids.

Take care of him - and yourself!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
You could always ask him which he prefers, nagging or being strapped to the bed so he can't get up while you force fluids down him.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went back to the ER today (I tried, but his doctor couldn't see him until next week!), and yes, he has a fractured radius (right wrist area). He has a formed splint that will keep everything in place and I think already he is feeling some relief since he's not trying to keep it still using his muscles. Downside is, he's probably going to be off work for quite a bit longer than everyone thought.
I found the insurance card for the bike and *wonderful!* he was carrying personal injury and collision as well as liability... so hopefully some of the expense of this will be covered by his bike insurance.

When we came home, I found a reminder call for an appointment for me tomorrow at 1... and I don't remember having an appointment so I have no idea where I have to go or who I have to see. So come morning I have to call the number they left to find out whether my appointment is 20 minutes away or an hour away. Thankfully, DS can take over nursing DH while I'm gone.

It's 9:30 at night and still 87 degrees (we don't have air conditioning)...I've got a headache, nothing got taken out for dinner, so I just grabbed some lettuce and mache from the garden and I'm gonna dump some home canned chicken chunks and a blue cheese vinaigrette over it and call it good. Y'all are gonna have to get your food fantasies from someone else tonight, lol.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We've had times when we've had to stop at the store to grab some frozen meals after a visit to the ER. I'm glad you had something better you could eat.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, your dinner sounds better than what I had.... which is nothing! I'm determined to get the extra pounds off and they're not disappearing as quickly as I'd hoped for. AND, because I was bad at lunch yesterday - I skipped dinner.

So sorry DH's injury was more than you originally thought - but soooo glad he had good motorcycle insurance! Hope you get cooler weather.