Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to Walmart and bought plastic bins and organized the freezers. It sure makes it easier!

IMG_2402.JPG

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
lol, back then getting a little drunk on Christmas morning wasn't viewed with horror, the way it is today. I remember my mother telling to give my baby a dropper of rum for teething or colic. Today, CPS would probably have taken my baby away if they found out.

Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, that teeny bit of alcohol really works; it seems to relax them and they can deal with it. The kid doesn't inevitably turn into an alcoholic because of it, either. All three of my children got that treatment, and of them all- only one drinks at all as an adult.
I remember my daughter begging for a sip of wine at dinner once- she was barely a year old. I offered her my glass, which had maybe a couple of tablespoons of dry red left in it. I figured she would do the same as her older brother had: take a sip, make a face, and give it back. Nope. She drained the glass before I could stop her. For the rest of the meal she was laughing and so happy! Until suddenly in mid-giggle, she just sort of gently sank her head onto the tray of the high chair. I picked her up and put her to bed- and we had a very quiet night. Have to say though, she was a bit cranky the next day, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's the EggNog recipe. I haven't tried it yet, but it got a lot of good reviews on LowCarbYum.com:
SUGAR FREE EGGNOG

Yield: 8 1-cup servings

Ingredients:

• 2 cups heavy cream
  • ¼ cup powdered erythritol or Swerve
  • ¼ tsp stevia concentrated powder
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups almond milk or a mix of 1 cup water & 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 oz rum (optional)
Instructions

• In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow
  • Mix heavy cream, erythritol and stevia in small saucepan; heat to boiling. Boil one minute, stirring constantly.
  • Stir half of cream mixture into egg yolks; return egg mixture to remaining cream in saucepan. Cook over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cool to room temperature.
  • Stir in almond milk and rum. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in.
  • Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with additional rum (if desired) and nutmeg sprinkled on top.

Nutrition:

Calories: 179 Carbohydrates: 1.4g Protein: 2.3g Fat 17.8g Saturated Fat 14g

Monounsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 33mg Potassium: 69mg

Vitamin A: 950iu Calcium: 110mg Iron:0.2mg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've started planting my garden finally. Got the peas done yesterday and today I replanted some scallions I bought last fall from the market. We started the roots in water, then moved them into pots where they spent the winter in the greenhouse. A few of them died, but most of them made it. I planted a bed of onions earlier- some as sets, and some seedlings. Tomorrow I need to add manure and trace minerals to another bed and plant some radishes, spinach, and maybe some carrots. DH worked on digging the raspberries that were invading one of the raised beds. It's too early for most veggies; we have another 4 to 6 weeks before we're down to only a 30% chance of frost. There is no such thing as frost free in the mountains. I have a pole that goes across each bed that has the frost cloth pinned up out of the way, but ready to drop over the crops at any time. It's the only way I've been able to have a successful garden. I use a product that I haven't found anywhere but Australia, called Insul-Net. It's a knitted frost cover, rather than non-woven, like Reemay. Unlike Reemay and such, this is much tougher, and lasts for years. It doesn't give quite as much frost protection as some of the others- only about 5 or 6 degrees. But that's usually all you need for a cold snap.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Klamath County suddenly realized it's summer. Weather is up in the 90's almost overnight. Suddenly I'm having plants wilting in the greenhouse, where before I only had to water them about once a week. I still have half a dozen beds that haven't been planted yet. I got up this morning extra early to work on weeding and getting the beds ready.

Father's Day. DH got a cute mug and a kiss and hug from me, with the promise of some doohickey he wants for his black powder stuff, as well as permission to take the day off- no honeydo's. I'm fixing a Porchetta roast, with a giant sweet potato and green salad for dinner. He really likes large chunks of meat, lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did I interpret this right? You make a tincture from dried comfrey and use that in the salve? Curious, why not just the dried leaves?
I meant to say an infused oil, not a tincture, lol. I don't want the leaves themselves in the salve because it's kind of uncomfortable on a booboo.

Finishing up my cabbages that had split in the garden. I don't get as much out of each head since I need to trim off the split area. I still have 4 more in the ice box that didn't split. It's just taking longer than I thought to do everything. *sigh*

The wind shifted in the night, and we woke up to much clearer air. DH was looking on the computer for updates on the closest fire, but he hasn't seen anything since Saturday's report that they had a "line" all around it. It started on Friday, and grew from 40 acres to 400 acres in just over an hour. This is how Paradise, in California, got engulfed. Big difference here is that Forestry Dept has been doing cleanups and controlled burns all along, so I'm not "quite" as concerned as I could be; a lot of that growth was fast-burning dry weeds, rather than trees.

Latest posts