Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't want a wife, I want a clone!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm a gramma! I came out to let the ducks out of their coop and give them food and water, and was surprised because Suzie didn't leave her nest like she usually does. When I checked on her, she drew back just a bit and I caught a glimpse of some grey down! She has one duckling, and is still sitting on the nest so I suppose there are others working on hatching. I put down a small dish each of food and water close to her because I don't know how long she can keep doing this without some water at least. Now I have to figure out a way to drown-proof the swimming pool before she takes her baby swimming.

With my new hearing aids (I got 2, thought I was only getting one) I am really enjoying hearing so much more than before- although some of the sounds are unnerving; my GF laughed when I started and looked around because someone crumpled up a chip bag to throw it away.
Yesterday I got my new glasses as well... I feel like the Bionic Woman, lol.
The visit to the VA for glasses ended early enough that I was able to start processing apples for drying. I emptied the bucket of Cortlands for that (except for a few I kept out for eating), then worked on dinner: Chicken Scallopini with Wine and Capers, and a Quinoa Pilaf, with leftover Apple Pie for dessert.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I am so going to show up at your house one day for dinner lol
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of hearing aids did you get? I have worked for an audiology practice for 8 years and am always really happy to see people using aids and feeling good about it.
Yay ducklings!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@hqueen13 The hearing aids are ReSound receiver-in-ear hearing instrument (that's what it says on the user manual). I know the audiologist said they were very good ones, and praised the VA for being willing to pay for them (I only had my copay of $50).

If you were to show up, you might get put to work washing dishes, lol. It's the job I hate the worst in the house and I don't have a dishwasher.

Well, this morning we still have only one duckling. Mama accidentally stepped on a rotten one when I came close to give her some water, and it popped. GAG! She went over to the pool to wash off, with baby in tow; but the sides of the pool are too high for the baby to get in so it had to just hang out near by. I've got a honey-do for DH and DS today to come up with something for that. Maybe a couple of boards with a hinge that could drape over the edge of the pool so there is a ramp on both sides? Mama is sitting on the eggs again but really, I'm thinking this one duckling may be all that hatches. There have been several eggs that have blown, I've caught her carrying the shells out of the nest- perhaps to remove some of the smell? I hope she's able to keep the one safe from predators. I want to herd them back into the duck yard so they at least have a fence around them; not sure if it would be good for them to join the rest of the crowd in the coop though- I'd be afraid of the little one getting stepped on or something.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I came out to check on things a little while ago and the baby was NOT with momma. After a frantic search we found it- limp and wet-looking, eyes closed, in the shade. I picked it up and tried to warm it and it stirred and peeped a little. I spent several minutes trying to get momma to come over and claim her baby in the nest but she acted like there wasn't any baby- eating, drinking, bathing, heading out to the garden for a bit. I couldn't wait any longer- that baby needed to be warmed up NOW. So I brought it into the house and set up a box with light, water, and food. It started perking up very quickly.
She (I'm hoping it's a girl) stank to high heaven, looked like a rotten egg burst and she was in the way. So I washed her down with warm water and a bit of apple cider vinegar and patted her dry. Put her back in the box and she started standing tall under the light and flapping her wings, then starting grooming, so I think she'll be ok. I'm not real happy with her momma though :(.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds like that momma is NOT a good momma. Hope the duckling is OK.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Poor momma couldn't stand the smell! Glad she's perking up though!
Those are pretty good adios, and even better that you only had a $50 copay. That is terrific. It's about time somebody started paying for hearing aids.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I decided to take little Titipu (duckling) outside today. She found momma and stuck like glue. Now that she's a little bigger, she seems to be able to keep up; all the other ducks accepted her too. I found her sitting on top of mom earlier- so cute! Suzie-mom is still trying to sit on that nest; another egg burst today. I'm gonna have DS clean out the rest of the eggs and maybe she'll stop trying to hatch them.
I'm not sure what to do about Suzie and Titipu tonight. I'm a little concerned about the baby getting trampled in the coop, particularly during morning rush.

Got another load of apples in the dehydrator today.

Tonight we are having some nice little pan-sized trout that some friends caught on their recent fishing trip. i think some greek salad and maybe some pilaf will go well with that.