Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Poor boy! That's no good! I wonder what changed?
Yay for clothes cheap! I love going to my consignment shop!
Actually Columbus was pretty atrocious. What we were taught in school really isn't the whole story. I found this yesterday while surfing Facebook and found it to be pretty interesting. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day Not what I was taught in school for sure!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i hate political correctness! that's all I'm gonna say. way good on the pants. there are several thrift stores around here that i love and hit often.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was in Joanne's today as well. I got a couple of zippers. Should I have looked for you? :cool:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know Columbus was horrible to the natives, but he was just going with what was accepted for his time. What bothers me about what is going on today is that so much emphasis is being put on how whites have treated everyone else so badly, as if no one else in the whole wide world has ever been racist. I don't treat other people like that, but because I look white (I do have black and native american ancestry), it's assumed that I am a pig.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It looks like whatever he did to get kicked out, Big Boy has been able to make amends and is part of the flock again; but he is very subdued and keeps his head down. I'm glad he was accepted in again- I really didn't want to butcher the prettiest male in the flock.

@hqueen13, it's not reverse racism... it's just plain ole' racism. And it's so stupid; as idiotic as thinking someone is dishonest because he's taller than you.

It's been raining the last couple of days, which we desperately need. I've got sheets hanging to dry in the utility room. The ducks are thrilled with the damp weather- it makes snabbling insects in the ground easier, but I'm keeping Titipu inside because she is still only half-fledged and I'm afraid she'll get chilled.

Our apple trees are ready for harvest- I think I will dehydrate the Red Delicious, and turn the others (I have NO idea what type they are) into pie filling. Then next week my girlfriend and I are going to harvest the apples off her neighbor's 6 trees and we'll be turning them into cider.

In the meantime, I got a halfway decent deal on some ground beef that I will can (I'm down to only 4 cans), and they had a sale on the big 5-pound bags of frozen mixed veggies that I can dehydrate and use for the dog's food.

My garlic and shallots arrived from the nursery- as soon as there is a break in the rain, I will get them planted. The long range weather forecasters are predicting a warmer winter than usual; they didn't say anything about precipitation though. We need snow on the mountain peaks though, as the slow melt keeps us in water all summer.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Yay glad he's been forgiven!
You're right, it doesn't matter what you call it, its wrong.
You're a busy bee! I hope that some day I can do all sorts of things like that to support us too.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so glad big boy has been allowed back into the flock. being alone is hard on a duck. wish you could send soe of your apples this way. i am going to a friends to get some pears but there is such a difference in apple pie and pear pie and i do love apples. don't work to hard

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish I could send you some apples and get some pears. I adore dehydrated pears- best candy ever!