Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My orange peel is nearly done; I think I can start drying it tonight. Then I can dip them halfway in some dark chocolate for samples.
Yesterday's class was a sort of conglomeration of a bunch of stuff; one person spoke about Water and Food emergency storage, another talked about olive oil and why you want to buy California grown instead of european (they only sell us their crap stuff that no one over there will touch. 98% of all olive oil you find in the grocery store is rancid; except for the stuff like "extra light"-- that stuff has deodorants and bleaches in it to hide the fact that it's really bad- it stinks and is a brown color till they do their magic, but then it has NONE of the health benefits olive oil is supposed to have). Look for oil that has been certified by the COOC (California Olive Oil Council) if you want good olive oil.
Friday, they had the Veterans Stand Down at the fairgrounds. As a veteran, I was eligible to go in and rummage through a ton of military surplus-- I came away with a 2-layer mummy sleeping bag, a nice wool blanket and a ground pad; also some assorted cold weather clothing and a back pack. The only bad part was that I had to stand in line for hours to get in. My back and hips were telling me all about it yesterday and, to a lesser extent, today.

DS is housesitting for friends this week. It's quiet without his video games going, but DH and I are enjoying having the house to ourselves. I've been catching up on the laundry since it's supposed to be dry all week.

Dinner will be Chicken Cacciatore, antipasta, and probably one of the cantaloupes I got at the Produce Connection. I need to get going on that because I have a fasting lab in the morning so I can't eat after 8:30.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the olive oil! I never knew that.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
L brought me a couple of bags of rabbit heads from her friend, thinking I could turn them into dog food. Unfortunately, with the fur and all, I'm not sure what to do with them. I think skinning the heads is more work than it's worth, so perhaps just dumping them as they are in a pot and boiling the heck out of them, then straining off the stock and throwing the rest out?

The orange peel is dried and ready to go. I just need to pick off some of the larger sugar crystals (I didn't use corn syrup so it crystallized a bit) and then dip them in dark chocolate and they will be ready to go. I tasted one of the peels and they are delish!

Well, time to go bring in the laundry before it gets too dark to see what I'm doing!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I can't imagine getting a bag of rabbit heads! Hope you figure out something to do w/them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it was a gift given with good intentions - but...ummmmm... yuck, lol! Hope you figure out what to do with them.

The orange peel sounds delicious!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, today was the last day of the class. I handed in my final test- if I pass (and I think I will) I will be a certified Master Food Preserver. All that really means is that I have committed to at least 20 hours of community service, lol.
I gave my little 5 minute presentation on glace fruits, including the chocolate dipped orange peels for tasting. Everyone said they enjoyed my talk and loved the peels. I was nervous, but not inordinately so.
My rose water came in the mail, so L and I are going to make rose petal jelly on Friday and then go to the Produce Connection. Tomorrow she is going fishing and I need to dehydrate the rest of the potatoes.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's why I haven't signed up for any classes around here. They all want x amount of volunteer work and I just don't have the time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't mind the volunteer work; 20 hours comes to less than an hour every other week. We all need time away from our home and work; you have your motorcycle rides, I can have this.

I didn't have time to gather eggs yesterday, so I found 16 eggs this morning. My biggest customer (3 dozen eggs a week) had a seizure Tuesday evening and is in the hospital, so no egg delivery. I hope she gets better soon; they still don't know exactly what happened. She had a seizure a few years ago and couldn't drive for almost 6 months. At the time, her husband was able to take care of all the driving errands, but he recently had cataract surgery that went sour and is blind in one eye and still has a cataract in the other. Understandably, he's unwilling to go for the second surgery, so he can't drive right now. If she ends up unable to drive, I guess all us friends will have to step up to the plate for them. They are both very independent, so it's not going to sit well with them, but sometimes we just have to depend on others.

Well, I need to get started on dehydrating the potatoes if I want to have them done today.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How do you dehydrate your potatoes?
Do you balance them?