Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And the recipe for you fish cakes.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The fish cakes were a definite hit, as was the chocolate silk pie. I'll put the recipes out on the kitchen thread.
More snow, and it gets just warm enough for some of it to melt, and then it freezes in the night. Not the best driving conditions in the world.
I found deer prints in the snow in the duck yard- proof that the rogues are getting in and stealing the ducks' food. No wonder my budget is crashing! It's hard to decide how much to put out- they need more than during the summer because it's cold and with snow on the ground there is little to forage. But if I put out too much, the deer come in. Millie, the Pyrenees mix, would be able to keep them out of the yard, but I can't leave her out there all day; she wants to be with her people.

Today is going to be one of those soggy dreary drippy days. I don't have anything pressing to do outside, so I plan to stay inside and work on the sweater and maybe do some Christmas cookies.
I've pulled out a chunk of pork tenderloin which I'm planning to coat with a herby mustard, and then Panko crumbs. That should go well with some fruited rice pilaf and a salad. Not sure what to do for dessert- maybe a cherry cobbler.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Is there any place you can put the feeder where the deer can't get to it?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The weather got really cold. Lots of snow, then it warmed up and melted some of the snow, then cold again so it turned to ice. Last Wednesday I had a bunch of checks to send out to various utilities; it was cold so I wanted to use the car instead of freezing my *** off by walking the quarter mile to and from. After an hour of struggling, I had to give up-- the tires had sunk down into the melting sludge and then the ice had frozen up around the tires; it was about an inch or so I think.
DH had New Year's Day off, so we worked on getting the car unstuck. We finally got it to where the car was rocking back and forth a couple of inches, so I leaned into it and started to push. We got the car out, but I was unbalanced and fell forward. Things were just slippery enough that I couldn't get up; DH had to haul me up like a sack of grain. And part of what I fell on was dry because the car was sheltering it, so I skinned my knee real good on the gravel.

Today we went out looking at wood stoves, and I think we've made a choice- an Englander brand. It is small and will fit into our small house without any trouble, and heat it just fine. My next step is to see if we can talk the price down a bit. If not, I still have my Veteran's discount of 10% which is better than a sharp stick in the eye. Might be able to get that discount on the contractor too :fl

I made a rather nice meal last night- Blackened Chicken, sliced up and added to pasta with broccoli and a light Alfredo sauce. Yummy! And a Cherry pie using the last of the cherry pie filling I canned last spring. That lets me know I need to can up a few more this year to make it last through til spring.
Tonight I have some Top Round thawing to make Swiss Steak, with spaetzle and green beans and some more of the cherry pie.

But now I have to go and clear the kitchen so DH can bake some bread...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just re-read. Is the stove wood or pellet? I used to have wood and one day said "TOO much work" Got propane. Then propane went sky high (like gasoline) Now it sits. Thinking I may fill this yr as prices are down.

Back to yours -- the pellets are just so much easier to handle than wood. Maybe less expensive if you are buying wood, too. DD has a fireplace insert and burns wood some days -- when home from work. It does help with utility bill, LOVE the heat but, I go into the woods & help her get downed trees/limbs. Lotta work.

Latest posts