Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been considering a hoop house greenhouse too. With our winter time temperatures I think we could easily keep greens going all winter if they were old enough before say late October. Actually I sure of it. Especially if covered with a new-fangled row covering.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Something I learned from a friend with a hoop greenhouse. If you run a line of the small Xmas lights along the top, it will heat things just enough to melt the snow that is right against the plastic, allowing it to fall off. I don't have to worry so much about that, as the material is very strong. (see the pic) It looks a little like cardboard in the construction.
solexx-panels-287.jpg Have you read the book Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman? I love his ideas on how to use a greenhouse without all the expense and fuss of heating it- using smaller hoop tunnels and such inside for more insulation.

Anyway. The promised snow fell... and fell... and fell. We got about 18 inches, and there's more snow coming tomorrow. My snow boots are not tall enough, and I don't have any snow pants so I have to change into dry pants each time I come inside as it's over my knees. I hang the wet pants and boots in front of the fire to hopefully dry out before the next foray.

Currently it's 3F degrees out there, and even Millie with her long coat doesn't want to be out there. The ducks are only coming out of the coop when I tempt them with warm water.

I've had the oven going today too- Pumpkin Pie, and baked pork chops in marinara to go over pasta. Winter Salad on the side (half grated carrots, half grated cabbage, with a vinaigrette). We've been eating leftovers for a few days, because I made a monstrous casserole of Ham with Macaroni and Cheese, and then Crockpot Pulled Pork, and then a stir fry of shrimp and asparagus with pasta and a light cream sauce. All very good, but I made too much of them. We still have some of the shrimp and asparagus, but I was tired of leftovers, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Being snowed in doesn't sound so bad! We have real cold weather right now, will be 16F for the next few nights, but back up to 70F in mid week. We pretty much stay in when it is cold, we find things to do in the house.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're getting snow tonight...6-12". NOT liking it. Especially this much. We get few storms with more than 3-6". Generally 1-3" and even that cripples the area. Just because we are not a snow area and not prepared. Temps are still in 30s so we have rain & sleet, cooling later and they say 4-11 AM we will get drier snow. I

Sunday highs mid 20, nights mid teens. Slowly warming over week and back into 60 by end of week. GEESH!

I'm sorry you have 18"....that's a wowser...but, at least you love to cook and everyone is eating well :D The pasta & asparagus sounds very yummy. Very. I will be cooking & cleaning this weekend, after trudging the snow to feed, etc. Then, I'm inside just like my goats!!!!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh-- I hate when it snows, then rains, then snow or sleet after that- absolutely the WORST driving conditions in the world (.... well, maybe sandstorms are as bad, lol)
No snow today, and our high was about 11F, so the snow is still dry and powdery. But we are supposed to go up into the low 40's this weekend, with rain, and then it goes back to cold and snowy. I think maybe our drought has broken???

My knee was acting up again, so I had to do Tai Chi while sitting in a chair. But at least I was there and TRYING! The swim lessons were good, except that the steam from the heated water condenses on the metal strips in the dropped ceiling and rains back down on us... also, the locker room is not warm at all, and today the showers were only warm/tepid. I ended up going into the sauna for a bit just to warm up. Not really complaining though- I'm glad to be able to swim in a heated indoor pool this winter.

And I noticed that my Ugg boots need repair; the sole is separating from the rest of the shoe. They were inherited from my mom, who passed away 6 years ago and I seem to recall she bought them in '03. I think they've done alright by me, but it's time to get a new pair of boots- some I can wear with thick winter socks instead of barely enough room for pantyhose.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Having a housefull of boys we always have a tube of shoe goo on hand. It works good for my shoes but doesn't last too long on the Wildbunch's shoes.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, as a temp fix....put trash bags over boots & tape around them to keep snug. We lucked out and only go 10"... that was 9.5" more than I wanted to see! Hard wind all day. Wind chill in teens, only 25 temps. Predict 7 for AM.

I'm wanting to stay in but, these animals have to be fed. Takes a lot longer to do trudging around. At least I have those great boots I bought last yr to keep my feet warm! Great buy, makes walking so much nicer when your feet aren't numb.:lol:

Buy new boots.....you deserve them!! You WILL enjoy them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had to break out my mucks today...so nice, like MH says, to have warm feet. My mucks are the ONLY shoe/boot that Gracie ever chewed on. Thankfully, she didn't chew them all the way through- just pulled an outside layer off one if the boots...they still don't leak! I only wish I had gotten a taller pair.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been slipping on rubber boots when I go out. Then I can kick them off at the door and slip on my warm house shoes. More coffee!